MY VAN OVERHEATS AFTER DRIVING IT LESS THAN A ...

2002 Pontiac Montana

Missyb

February, 20, 2013 AT 3:57 PM

My van overheats after driving it less than a mile, I had the thermostat and relay replaced but fan still isn't working and the wires are all charred where they connect, someone told me that it was the heads, and then I was told it could be the sensor.

February, 20, 2013 AT 4:08 PM

How hot is it getting in degrees F. As far as the fan, if the wiring is bad, replace. You could also have a faulty fan? Check the coolant temp sensor. Are there any applicable trouble codes? Some of the national brand autostores will check codes for free. Let us know what you find.

Missyb

February, 20, 2013 AT 4:16 PM

The temp gets up into the danger zone, almost to the red line, the check engine light does not come on. I am afraid to drive it to an autopart store to have it checked, also I forgot to mention that it just blows out cold air and there is coolant in both the radiator and reservoir.

February, 20, 2013 AT 5:51 PM

If the radiator fan wiring is bad, replace that first.

Missyb

February, 21, 2013 AT 2:22 AM

If the head gasket is bad, what do you think about using Bars Leak Head Gasket in a can until I can afford to get it done?

February, 21, 2013 AT 3:48 PM

All I can tell you is I don't like that stuff.

February, 21, 2013 AT 3:53 PM

If your fan won't run, fix that first. Some of the national brand autostores will make house calls. I don't know what they charge? Maybe they can come to your house, check codes if any, maybe check the fan for you. I just cant see much from here.

Thermostat Replacement Chrysler PT Cruiser
Radiator Replacement Kia Sportage
Radiator Replacement Mercedes Benz ML 500
Thermostat Replacement Chevrolet Blazer