MY VAN OVERHEATS AFTER DRIVING IT LESS THAN A ...

• Missyb
  • 2002 PONTIAC MONTANA
  • 178 MILES

My van overheats after driving it less than a mile, I had the thermostat and relay replaced but fan still isn't working and the wires are all charred where they connect, someone told me that it was the heads, and then I was told it could be the sensor.

Wednesday, February 20th, 2013 AT 3:57 PM

• JDL

How hot is it getting in degrees F. As far as the fan, if the wiring is bad, replace. You could also have a faulty fan? Check the coolant temp sensor. Are there any applicable trouble codes? Some of the national brand autostores will check codes for free. Let us know what you find.

Wednesday, February 20th, 2013 AT 4:08 PM
  • Missyb

The temp gets up into the danger zone, almost to the red line, the check engine light does not come on. I am afraid to drive it to an autopart store to have it checked, also I forgot to mention that it just blows out cold air and there is coolant in both the radiator and reservoir.

Wednesday, February 20th, 2013 AT 4:16 PM
  • JDL

If the radiator fan wiring is bad, replace that first.

Wednesday, February 20th, 2013 AT 5:51 PM
  • Missyb

If the head gasket is bad, what do you think about using Bars Leak Head Gasket in a can until I can afford to get it done?

Thursday, February 21st, 2013 AT 2:22 AM
  • JDL

All I can tell you is I don't like that stuff.

Thursday, February 21st, 2013 AT 3:48 PM
  • JDL

If your fan won't run, fix that first. Some of the national brand autostores will make house calls. I don't know what they charge? Maybe they can come to your house, check codes if any, maybe check the fan for you. I just cant see much from here.

Thursday, February 21st, 2013 AT 3:53 PM