POSSIBLE RAP OR BCM ISSUE?

2002 Pontiac Grand Prix

RS1982

June, 14, 2012 AT 3:00 PM

I have a 2002 Grand Prix GT. Prev owner installed a "bypass" switch to get power to the windows and radio. I've been told its a RAP relay but I was also told the RAP relay should be inside the BCM on this car. The switch gets power directly from the fuse block under the hood. The other wire goes behind the fuse block next to the glove box inside. I can't see exactly where it goes w/o taking the dash apart. Can you tell me if the RAP is internal to the BCM or not and if the RAP is the problem?

RS1982

June, 14, 2012 AT 3:01 PM

As you can see in the pic I posted, that is of the fuse box next to the glove box. The one wire runs in front of the fuse block through the door jam and into the engine bay to the fuse block under the hood. The other sneaks right behind that fuse block into whatever is back there. I can't see it.

hmac300

June, 14, 2012 AT 4:58 PM

According to the diagram I have both go through the rap relay and that should be on right side of dash, bcm should be under the console. However it looks like teh bcm turns it on. There should be an orange, red and blue wire going to the relay. Red will be from ign main fuse relay underhood and rap relay fuse is in ip on rh side. Blue goes to the window and radio.

RS1982

June, 14, 2012 AT 5:42 PM

So is there a way to test if it's the RAP relay that's bad or if it's the BCM not sending power to the RAP? I'm not very electrical minded unfortunately

hmac300

June, 14, 2012 AT 5:56 PM

See if the orange and red wire get power and if the blue wire sends it out. You can ground the wire from the bcm or put a umper thare tosee if the relay works. If it doesn tehn there is a problem withe bcm