2002 Oldsmobile Intrigue System voltage too high

THEWIZARD64
  • 2002 OLDSMOBILE INTRIGUE
System charging voltage is way too high, somewhere around 17 volts. Replaced the alternator and the battery and the same high voltage still exists. The wiring looked good on the alternator, is there some kind of voltage sensing wiring that I can look for to repair or re-wire?
Thursday, March 27th, 2014 AT 10:53 AM

There is no resister wire that cuts that power down. The voltage regulator is built into the alternator on your car. Regardless if it is new, It has to be bad.
Thursday, March 27th, 2014 AT 10:57 AM
THEWIZARD64
That's not possible. The alternator on the car also was NEW, that's 3 alternators on this car in the last month (original and two new ones). That is a very unacceptable answer. I just looked at a schematic and there's a 10 amp fuse from the positive junction point that feeds an orange wire back to the alternator, I'm going to check it now. At least I've learned a lesson, don't ask 2carpros for assistance unless I want an uneducated answer.
Thursday, March 27th, 2014 AT 11:32 AM
THEWIZARD64
I'm sorry, I'm just frustrated. I realize I didn't give all the information earlier. YES, there has been 3 different alternators on this car recently and it's still over-charging. So I'm sure the alternator is not the issue. I'm not a do-it-yourselfer or a back yard mechanic, I'm more advanced than that by quite a bit as you guys are. We need to assume the alternator and internal regulator are good, I was hoping for some more advanced assistance with this issue from you guys. Thank you.
Thursday, March 27th, 2014 AT 11:52 AM
To be honest, the only thing that regulates the power is the regulator. If you bench test the alternator, does it produce 17v or less?
Wednesday, April 2nd, 2014 AT 6:13 AM
THEWIZARD64
Autozone said they cannot test alternators a clutch built into the pulley/input shaft as this model does. It's not the alternator as I said before the odds are against it after 3 different alternators and all 3 over charged the same way. The small orange wire going from the alternator to battery + for some reason did not have system voltage on it. There's a fuse in the under hood fuse box between that orange voltage sensing wire and battery + but the fuse was good, so I simply ran my own wire from battery + to that orange wire on the alternator and everything works perfectly now.
+1
Wednesday, April 2nd, 2014 AT 6:44 AM