MY RPMS SEEM TO GO UP TO HIGH BEFORE SHIFTING INTO SECOND GEAR AS WELL AS GEARS WHY IS THIS

2002 Mitsubishi Lancer

ironwing777

July, 6, 2012 AT 5:06 AM

So I just bought this Mitsubishi lancer 2002 its got 160k and starts fine shifts fine but I didn't realize until I give it a little extra gas that it revs really high before shifting into second and the Rpms reach between 4,000 and 5,000 also the check engine light is on, its actually a light that says service engine soon but there is no knocking noise or anything also it seems to be quite loud when I am giving it a little extra gas I'm not sure if its a bad loud I mean its like a race car loud and I looked at the exhaust Ans it looks like its stock. The people I bought it from said it needs a tune up so I was also wondering if maybe that would help with this problem or typically have absolutely nothing to do with it, hopefully you guys can help I really appreciate past questions you guys have answered and u guys really do your job well. Thanks in advance!

July, 6, 2012 AT 11:14 AM

Trans may be slipping before shifting. Have a trans shop check it for you but it sounds like it is going to need trans work

July, 6, 2012 AT 2:11 PM

Get a scan done to check for trouble codes.

Transmission would upshift later if the throttle is opened more and it could be normal operating symptoms.

Automatic Transmission Service
Transmission Drain and Refill Kia Sportage
Transmission Service Ford Super Duty F-250
Transmission Fluid Replacement Mercedes Benz
Transmission Service Toyota Tacoma