Radiator fan not working

MEDOVEL
  • 2002 MITSUBISHI LANCER
Radiator fans are not coming on. Replaced the fuse. Can you tell me where the coolant sensor for the radiator fans is? Thx.
Saturday, July 21st, 2012 AT 5:04 PM

There is no coolant sensor for the fans becasue the PCM controls it here is a wiring diagram for the cooling fans so you can see how it works and the fuse and relay locations so we can test for power. Use these guides to help.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-check-an-electrical-relay-and-wiring-control-circuit

Check out the diagrams (Below). Please let us know what you find. We are interested to see what it is.
+6
Saturday, July 21st, 2012 AT 5:42 PM
MEDOVEL
Okay, I presume from your answer, coolant temperature sensor does not regulate the fans, and there should be hot/electric going into the fan controller at all times. (I did replace the relay - I said fuse, but meant relay.)
-2
Saturday, July 21st, 2012 AT 11:54 PM
FAN CONTROLLER

1. Remove the fan controller connector. See Fig. 3 .
2. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position. Check for battery voltage between terminals No. 1 and 3. See Fig. 3 .
3. Reconnect the fan controller connector and disconnect the condenser fan motor connector. See Fig. 4 .
4. Ensure the A/C switch is off, and start the engine and rub at idle.
5. Measure voltage between the fan controller (side connector) terminals. Voltage should be 1V or less.

CAUTION: Stay clear of the fan when starts running.

6. Turn the A/C switch to the ON position.
7. Measure the voltage between the fan controller (side connector) terminals while the fan is running. The voltage should switch between 5.6 10.8V and battery voltage.
8. If the voltage does not switch as indicated, replace the fan controller.
+11
Sunday, July 22nd, 2012 AT 12:02 AM
BOOPERIII
Thanks for this post I had this problem and I had to replace the fan relay cost me $34.00. I love this site.
Friday, December 28th, 2018 AT 11:20 AM
CS1LANCERFAN
  • 2002 MITSUBISHI LANCER
Hi, both my radiator fans are not working on start or even after a decent drive. However both fans starts working when the AC is switched ON. The Ac regulates both the fans as I can see both switching ON/OFF as the AC kicks in/out.
What can be the issue? I cannot drive without switching ON the AC.
Thank you
Saturday, December 29th, 2018 AT 10:51 AM (Merged)
JOHNNYT73
Do you have a scan tool available to be able to read the engine coolant temp sensor(s).
+1
JAYLEE5
  • 2003 MITSUBISHI LANCER
So I noticed my temperature gauge went up to high after car was idling one day for fifteen minutes. I noticed as soon as I drove off but within a minute of driving the needle started to come by down. Seemed weird because in my past experience if that were the case it would definitely not come down that quick. It either be a belt was torn or relay, or thermostat. So I get home and start trying to diagnose. First: unplugged fans, and tested each straight power from car battery: both worked. Second: unplugged fan relay in fuse box to listen for clicking while ignition key to on position and it worked and also checked 50 amp fuse and it seemed fine. Plugged fan connectors back in and let car sit a while to did more research. Came back turned car on and both fans come on and stay on but car was cold. When I tried turning on AC they went off. Then never came back on. So stumped. My next thing I was going to check is a cooling temp sensor and fan switch sensor that goes on/off by thermostat. I just do not know where they are exactly. On my Honda civic they are pretty easy to get to and obvious. So need some direction on diagnosing. Thanks
The pictures I am sending are from an Evolution model as you did not say which Lancer you have. there are four different relays and a control module which could be bad and would need scanning by a mechanic to see if it were. but check relays first see link and pictures. check all fuses with a test light in picture as well.
JAYLEE5
Sorry. It is a Lancer ES.
JAYLEE5
I tried loading an image but it says unable to.
That is okay, this is a little different with less relays so check same items as in first reply and you can check coolant temperature sender as well. But it still has a module and it should be scanned for codes.
PAULPOLO
  • 2005 MITSUBISHI LANCER
The problem I am having has to do with the cooling fans coming on as soon as I turn the key in the ignition. The engine is cool. I do not have a problem with the overheating now. The fans run erratically at times, and sometimes they run at a normal speed, but they are always on when the car is running. They dont run once I turn off the car. What elements do I need to look into: control unit, temp sensor, relay, thermostat? Please help.
You may have stuck relay on this causing your problem. Try that it's in the underhood fuse box
PHILIL
  • 2005 MITSUBISHI LANCER
The other day I was on some Mitsubishi lancer forum researching a problem.I had. (Cooling fan control. Module) but I read a post from a Mitsubishi tech tell someone with same prob that the cooling fan will only work if a/c is on. Is this correct? I don't see why that would have anything to do with the fan operation. Please explain if possible. Thank you in advance.
Saturday, December 29th, 2018 AT 10:52 AM (Merged)
WRENCHTECH
It should run all the time when the AC is on and regulated by temp for cooling. If it comes on when the AC is turned on, that tells you the control circuit is fine.
PHILIL
That makes sense. Thank you for your timely & informative response.
+1
KEN
Please use 2CarPros anytime, we are here to help and tell a friend.

Best, Ken
TINGO
  • 2005 MITSUBISHI LANCER
My radiator fan used to stop as soon as the engine stops but now it will run for another minute or so after the engine stops, what could be the problem? Greatly appreciated.
BLUELIGHTNIN6
It is normal for electric cooling fans to remain on after engine is off. Check to make sure your coolant level is full in radiator and overflow tank.
LEOMN21
  • 2003 MITSUBISHI LANCER
Engine Cooling problem
2003 Mitsubishi Lancer 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 121 k miles

check engine light is on p0128 code thermostat mal. Ok. Im a student im just learning this. My fan is always on when I start the car. And also after my car has been on and I turn it off I realize the fan goes on and off on the on position like if the car was runing what can cause this problem?