HELLO

• mbullion
  • 2002 Mercury Mountaineer

Hello.I'm not sure if my previous question was submitted or not but I will send it again just in case. I am having an electrical issue with my mountaineer. I think they are all related somehow but i'll give you a list of what's happening:

1. When locking the doors (and all are shut) horn chirps twice indicating something is open.
2. Exterior mirror lamps and interior lamps stay on for 10 or so minutes after the door is locked. Once they shut off, if I use the keyless entry code. The alarm goes off.

3. The lock button on the drivers door will only work if the key is in the ignition and the door is closed.

4. Also, when I take the key out and turn the car off without opening the door, the stereo shuts off and I believe it's supposed to stay on.

Do you think this could be a short somewhere? Perhaps in the driver's door jam? Or a fuse issue? I feel like it's all related to one thing and narrowing that down to that one thing is what I need help with! Thank you!

Sunday, November 11th, 2012 AT 10:03 PM

• ASEMaster6371

Sounds like the GEM module. You need a shop to monitor the functions through a scan tool.

Sunday, November 11th, 2012 AT 10:07 PM
  • mbullion

Thank you! If It makes any difference.I just noticed that when I press the rear defrost (it has the dual automatic climate control). When in park, the dome light comes on and door ajar is displayed. Door ajar is just displayed and not the dome light on when the car is moving. WEIRD!

Monday, November 12th, 2012 AT 1:02 AM
  • mbullion

And. If it is the GEM which it's sounding more and more like it is. If I find one that is the exact part number. Can I just swap them out? Or do they have to be programmed at a dealer?

Monday, November 12th, 2012 AT 1:42 AM
  • ASEMaster6371

Dealer programming required. No used unit, as it is specific for the vehicle. New only

Monday, November 12th, 2012 AT 12:38 PM
  • mbullion

Fyi. All those problems led to 4 broken wires in the driver's door panel. Fixed now and all is good!

Friday, November 16th, 2012 AT 9:42 PM