AC COMPRESSOR

2002 Mercury Cougar

lafayette4907

August, 1, 2011 AT 7:34 PM

My 2002 mercury cougar won't start, first I thought it was the starter but when I took it to the shop they said it was the ac compressor that went bad. It stuck and the belt won't turn. How can I fix this problem without spending alot of money?

saturntech9

August, 1, 2011 AT 7:40 PM

So are you looking to not fix the a/c and just get the car running again?If so you could try to find a belt without a/c or get a a/c bypass pulley but to mount that you would have to remove the compressor.

lafayette4907

August, 2, 2011 AT 9:27 PM

How much will it cost to have the pulley put on the car and would it cause any other problems to the rest Of the ac system.

saturntech9

August, 2, 2011 AT 11:15 PM

Why dont you try the cheap route first they list a belt without a/c try that to bypass it first.

lafayette4907

August, 4, 2011 AT 4:51 PM

Do I have to install a idler pulley? Because the diaogram shows a idler pulley which is no where to be found on the engine. Now its starting to look like I would to install the ac bypass pulley, which I will go back to the previous question "around how much will that cost and will that mess up th ac system?"

saturntech9

August, 4, 2011 AT 5:14 PM

I posted the belt diagram I have for your car which should be what you have compare it to your car and let me know if that is correct. Because from what I see if you where to get the belt for your car without a/c it could possibly work there is a straight shot from the power steering pump to the crank pulley and that would take the a/c compressor out of the loop. Don't you agree?I don't see where a idler pulley would be need its a straight run if it wasnt a straight run from the power steering to the crank pulley then I would see where you would need a idler pulley.

lafayette4907

August, 4, 2011 AT 8:04 PM

I only have power steering on top, crankshaft on the bottom in between the two is the belt tensioner. To the left corner is the generator pulley. But how its arrange the belt tenisoner will enterlock with the belt on the path of the steering to the crankshaft

saturntech9

August, 4, 2011 AT 8:08 PM

What size engine do you have?You list a 2.5L engine thats what I posted the diagram for. Also what is the 8th digit of your vin number?

lafayette4907

August, 4, 2011 AT 8:37 PM

25614351 also here's a picture

lafayette4907

August, 4, 2011 AT 8:45 PM

The top pulley is the steering under that is the belt tensioner. On the bottom right is the ac compressor, on the bottom left is the crank pulley.

saturntech9

August, 4, 2011 AT 9:20 PM

Ok its the diagram I posted the 2.5L engine if you didnt loop the belt around the a/c compressor its a straight run from the power steering pump to the crank pulley according to the diagram it looks like you could possibly use the belt without a/c that they have a listing for that engine. If you want to have the bypass pulley installed its going to cost about 35 for pulley the labor would be about 212-270. Then to have the a/c system charge evacuated about 78-100. Thats why I was trying to see if you could just use the belt without a/c but if you can't or don't want try thats how much your looking at.

Air Conditioner Recharge - Simple
Serpentine Belt Replacement
Serpentine Belt Replacement Mercedes Benz
Serpentine Belt Replacement Saturn Vue