WATER ENTERING WHEN IT RAINS

2002 Mazda Protege

sabbath

December, 4, 2011 AT 5:42 PM

Hi guys hoping you can help, I recently purchased a 2002 mazda protege 5 door. When I bought it I noticed the floors were soaking wet, the guy (my buddy from work) said his parents left the windows open for a few weeks as I noticed mold growing on the seats and center console.I bought his story and for 500 bucks what the hell I bought it, as soon as I got home I took out all the seats and console and removed the carpet to find a nice level of water in the car so I shop-vac it up and dryed it completely. I took the carpet down in my basement and left it to dry. That night it rained the next morning I came out to check on the car and there was small puddles on both sides of the front of the floor pans (this seems to stop where the first crossmember is just under the front seats as the rear floor is bone dry. Anyone have any ideas where the water is coming from? It doesn't seem to be rusted around the front window pillars unless it is hiding under the weather striping. Please help!

hmac300

December, 4, 2011 AT 6:26 PM

Have afriend spaay it down with water while you are inside the car. Now would be a good time to do it as alot of stuff is out. Make sure to have aflashlight with you to spot the stuff.

sabbath

December, 4, 2011 AT 6:32 PM

Okay since is still raining.I see that there are tiny streams coming down the firewall continuing down where it meets the floorpans. On both sides, could it be coming from the cowl vents
below the windsheild from the outside? If so how do I fix it? Thx for your quick response.

hmac300

December, 4, 2011 AT 6:36 PM

If you can get something in there like silicone rtv then use that. It might also be coming from the windshield.

sabbath

December, 4, 2011 AT 7:06 PM

Is this the usual problem? ( The windshield? And is it the upper corners that I should silicone?

hmac300

December, 4, 2011 AT 7:07 PM

It could be teh windshield not saying it is. You should silicone it where you see the leaks on the opposite side.

sabbath

December, 4, 2011 AT 7:12 PM

Gotcha, it's gonna be hard to see where it flows down from unless I tear the dash apart, I'm thinking it's one of the 2 now. Below the windshield in the cowl duct there must be an entrance through the firewall. Or yes the windshield itself.

sabbath

December, 4, 2011 AT 7:32 PM

Ok so I'll try sealing around the entire windshield first with a clear waterproof uv resistant silicone adhesive, sound like a plan? I'll do that then let u know

Window Regulator and Motor Replacement Honda
Cabin Air Filter Replacement Porsche 911
Replace Your Turn Signal Switch Like a Pro
Door Panel Removal & Speaker Replacement
Cabin Air Filter Replacement Saturn Vue