CANNOT PULL DRIVE AXLE

• Dwightvogt
  • 2002 MAZDA MPV

I cannot pull drive axle on 2002 Mazda MPV.

Saturday, October 13th, 2012 AT 11:31 PM

• KHLow2008

You need pry bar or a slide hammer for the job.

Saturday, October 13th, 2012 AT 11:35 PM
  • Mhpautos

What have you done so far? Have you got the outer end out of the bearing hub yet? Or is it just stuck in the transmission end?

+1
  • Dwightvogt

It is on the passenger side, so the drive axle actually slips into an extension axle and not directly into the transmission which is on the driver side. I pulled the axle on my daughter's civic and it popped right out with a couple of sharp pulls. I did not have a pry bar so I just jerked on the axle. So hard that I actually pulled the axle apart It split at the cv joint. So now I have just the back hub of the drive axle still stuck in the extension axle. On a schematic it looks like there is a c clip that holds it, but this should pop eventually. I have tried rotating the hub so the c clip might move a bit, prying it with a flat bar, hitting it with a hammer, but nothing works. Any suggestions other than call a mobile mechanic? Thanks Dwight

Sunday, October 14th, 2012 AT 12:50 AM
  • KHLow2008

The joint that is plugged into the intermediate shaft is usually rather stubbor. Hitting woth a hammer directly is not going to work. Get a rod and push it at the joint while you use the hammer to hit the rod to get it out. Gonna have to hit it hard unless you have a slide hammer with attachement for pulling it out.

Sunday, October 14th, 2012 AT 1:31 AM
  • Dwightvogt

Ok. Thanks much. Dwight

Sunday, October 14th, 2012 AT 1:41 AM
  • KHLow2008

You're welcome.

Sunday, October 21st, 2012 AT 5:05 AM