MY CAR OVERHEATS

2002 Mazda 626

Karenaline

October, 24, 2012 AT 5:39 PM

My car overheats. I've put coolant in the the reservoir about 3 times. After putting the coolant in it will drive for awhile (weeks, a month). After awhile, I'll notice the car heater isn't heating, and sure enough the temp starts rising - when I turn the heater down the temp lowers a bit, (Odd) but not for long. I pull into a gas station and fill the resevoir, which is now empty of coolant, once again with coolant. Could this be a leak? My thermostat? A blockage in the cooling system? Help please, I have *very* little money for repairs.

Dr. Hagerty

October, 24, 2012 AT 5:47 PM

It could need to have the cooling system pressure tested to see if there is a leak, or maybe just the radiator cap is old and requires replacement.

October, 26, 2012 AT 1:17 PM

When engine is cold, remove the radiator cap to cjeck the coolant level. Topping up the reserve tank is not enough as the radiator side should be low as well. There is a leak in the cooling system and it has to be checked, which might require a pressure test as advised.

Karenaline

October, 27, 2012 AT 1:54 AM

Thank you both. I bought a new radiator cap. When I took car in for oil change I had them flush and check radiator. It turns out my cap was missing the spring. I hope this and the flush is it. Thanks again!

October, 27, 2012 AT 5:01 PM

You're welcome.

Thermostat Replacement Mercedes Benz C230
Thermostat Replacement Chevrolet Blazer
Radiator Replacement Mercedes Benz ML 500
Thermostat Replacement Chrysler PT Cruiser