Overflow tank fluid boiling

HOMERBSHARP
  • 2002 MAZDA 5

Yesterday driving sisters car it overheated and the rad was about ~3/4 gallon short of being full. Added water and it seemed to be OK. Today seemed to be OK while driving but while stopped I saw steam out of the hood -yet engine temp was OK. Rad fluid was boiling in overflow. Let cool down and repeated same; boiling fulid in overflow but engine temp is fine which stumps me. Outside temp is about 75 degrees fahrenheit. Thinking this is a pressure thing rather than temp but this is outside of anything I have seen before. Thoughts?

Sunday, July 22nd, 2012 AT 11:49 PM

DJCL
  • 786 POSTS

I would first make shore the cooling system is full and have it presure tested. You might have air in the system. Check the level agen when its cool

Please consider a donation to help us answer more questions.
Sunday, July 22nd, 2012 AT 11:52 PM

Are the cooling fans coming on? If okay Check and test the thermostat and engine coolant temperature sensor-continues to boil over pressure test the cooling system

Sunday, July 22nd, 2012 AT 11:53 PM

Help us by donating