STERRING WHEEL

2002 Kia Spectra

raymondchong

September, 24, 2012 AT 3:49 AM

I have a kia spectra 2002, my steering wheel feel left side very light and right side very tight, any advice?

Wheel Assembly

Left Wheel Drags

caradiodoc

September, 24, 2012 AT 4:16 AM

If you mean it turns harder one way than the other, that is a sign of worn seals in the rack and pinion steering gear. That almost always starts out affecting turning one way first, and the other way a few weeks later, and the problem clears up when the engine warms up. As it gets worse it will take longer and longer each day for it to clear up.

The fix is a rebuilt rack and pinion assembly and an alignment.

September, 24, 2012 AT 5:52 AM

Was anything done prior to this occurring? Was vehicle involved in in any accidents?

raymondchong

September, 24, 2012 AT 7:48 AM

I just bought this car for 3 months, harder side wont go away even few hour's of driving, and it seem no accident. I have send in to atechnician to check, he taken out the bearing near the brake plate and it is ok, he suspected it is the power steering stroke problem. But I would like to get some expert advice before changing it as it is costly.

September, 24, 2012 AT 8:02 AM

A bent steering rack due to impact damages can result in light/heavy steering and this can be tested by raising the front of vehicle and turning the steering wheel from left to right without starting the engine. Any difference in effort could mean a bent rack. Do not attempt to turn the steering too fast nor too many times at a go as fluid can be forced out of the reservoir.

The most likely cause with the problem apart from a bent rack would be the valve body, located at the pinion shaft. Improper adjustment of the steering shaft U-joints can affect it as well. At base of steering column shaft, release the upper U-joint holding bolt and shake the steering wheel lightly to release any tension and retighten the bolt and retest.
If it fails to work, you would need to rebuild/replace the rack.

Safely Changing Your Spare Tire
Upper Control Arm Replacement
Replace Tie Rod End