I HAVE A 2002 KIA EX SPECTRA DOHC THAT WILL ...

• jay4cars1
  • 2002 Kia Spectra

I have a 2002 kia ex spectra dohc that will crank, but not start. When the key is on, the fuel pump is not coming on nor is the coil sending spark and no power to the injectors. Have checked all of the fuses and relays and all are fine. I do have key on power to the fuel pump relay, but none of the relays are coming on; ( you don't hear any of the buzzing or clicks you should hear when you turn the key on ). I have wiring diagram for the car but looking for ideals where to start. Need help. Thank you.

Wednesday, October 24th, 2012 AT 4:07 AM

• ASEMaster6371

Go back to the fuses. Thats where the power comes from. Use a test light to verify they are good.

Check the fusible links off the battery as well.

-1
Wednesday, October 24th, 2012 AT 9:40 AM
  • jay4cars1

Ive checked all the fuses and they are all good; I cant find any fusible links from +bat. Can it be an open circuit somewhere or could it be a sensor, like the tran. Position sensor. I will check all of the grounds today to see if the ECM is getting ground. Thank You

Thursday, October 25th, 2012 AT 12:36 PM
  • KHLow2008

Main relay supplies power to the fuel pump relay and fuel injectors. If you have power to the main relay which is not being energised, the problem is with the PCM, which provides grounding for the main relay pull-in coil. Do you have battery voltage to the ignition coil Yellow wire with ignition on and while cranking?
Is the immobilizer sysstem triggerred (if equipped)?

Thursday, October 25th, 2012 AT 5:25 PM
  • jay4cars1

Yes I have bat+ to the yellow wire the the ignition coil. The PCM not providing ground to circuits for the main and fuel pump relays. Checked for opens in these circuits from the relay to the PCM connetor and found none. Checked the PCM connector for ground at pin # 3, 61, 80 and all had ground to them. Checked PCM connector pin #12 for bat+ and found 12 v. Is there any more grounds or bat+ to the PCM that I might can check or is there a way I can prove out the PCM. Thank You

Thursday, November 1st, 2012 AT 8:03 PM
  • jay4cars1

. And no, the vehicle does not have immobilizer system.

Thursday, November 1st, 2012 AT 8:06 PM
  • KHLow2008

It is not about the PCM getting ground. It is the circuit to ground the injectors are not working, meaning a faulty PCM or the PCM is not receiving the signal to ground the injector circuits, a possible fault with the cam sensor.

Friday, November 2nd, 2012 AT 3:44 PM
  • KHLow2008

The PCM is not turning the relays on because it is faulty, not because it does not have sufficient ground.

Friday, November 2nd, 2012 AT 3:46 PM
  • jay4cars1

Thanks KHLow, I was thinking it was the PCM, but I like to check everything else before talking about the PCM; ive seen guys always think its the PCM when they cant find out the problem but its turns out to be something else. So I was trying to be sure before shelling out $500 for a pcm. Just wish I could test it to make sure. Has anyone heard of a company called AES out of florida that test and replace pcm's? I guess I will call them monday and find out how much to test the pcm and/or replace it. Thank You

Sunday, November 4th, 2012 AT 3:11 AM
  • KHLow2008

You are right. We always would want to to test and confirm before replacing parts. For mechanics it would be easier as he might have a spare PCM or be able to loan one which won't cost anything to test. For DIY to fork out a few hundreds and find that it does not solve the problem would be something hard to swallow.

Good luck.

Sunday, November 4th, 2012 AT 8:42 AM
  • jay4cars1

Update: got a used PCM and installed it and the car started up and idle great! But the PCM was not the exact same one; the right year, make, engine and model but one of the last number was not the same. We opened up the old PCM and found that pin# 12 and 13 was totally burn out which pin 12 is bat+ and pin 13 goes to the coil and condenser. Now keep in mind that when I started working on the car, I never heard it run, but the battery was low, so I had the battery tested and it was bad. So I replaced the battery and that were I started from. Since the PCM was burned up and the battery was bad, I called the customer and asked had anyone tried to jump start it and was told that someone had ( 70 year old lady ) my guess is that the cables were crossed and burned up the PCM. But when running, you can hear a noise like the valve is hitting the one of the pistons and the exhaust is light grey and has a odd smell to it. Now that CANT be from the PCM not being the exact one. Right?

Monday, November 12th, 2012 AT 7:59 PM