GAS TANK WON'T FILL

2002 Kia Rio

JSR2008

August, 1, 2008 AT 8:22 PM

2002 Kia Rio 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 62000 miles

My Kia Rio Cinco is having problems. I can only add a few cents of gas at a time. It can take as long as 15 minutes to fill up the tank. Sometimes the gas starts to back out of the tank eventhough it is not close to being full.

Can someone please give me some help? I am worried that my wife will get stuck somewhere when it decides not to take any fuel.

calypso93

August, 1, 2008 AT 8:57 PM

Sounds like the gas tank vent is blocked, not allowing the air to escape as you fill. You should see two tubes going into the tank, one to fill, the other is the vent. Check it to make sure it's not blocked. The only other thing, is if there is a mesh filter in the fill tube, and if it's blocked, it won't fill.

kiascott

November, 19, 2008 AT 12:04 AM

You should replace the tank.
And replace the filter and pump too.
I have a problem with my 2001 not showing a full tank of gas when I fill it and the pump stops on its own. Now I slowly fill it manually until it stops or I can hear the feul nearing the top of the tank. Mine is most likely a bad floater inside the tank.
The problem your having is more then likely a bad tank.
Take it to the dealer and have them check it out.

Zackman

December, 23, 2008 AT 2:26 AM

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/55316_riovacuum_1.jpg

Check your EVAP purge solenoid valve and the fuel tank pressure sensor. Usually, when the purge solenoid is defective, it doesn't release the tank pressure when it is supposed to. As the tank is pressurized, you cannot add more fuel because of it.

dB

August, 21, 2011 AT 8:37 PM

My daughter has an 02 Optima that had the same problem. Ran several hours of troubleshooting including removing and checking the cannister, which was fine. I finally found a 1-way check valve that was installed backwards (at the factory). As soon as I disconnected the valve, the pressure instantly released. We reversed it and the car took fuel normally. The valve has the flow arrow molded on it. It should point toward the fill cap, not to the tank.

Jacobandnickolas

October, 20, 2011 AT 5:17 PM

Test

Fuel Pump Replacement
Fuel Pump Replacement Ford Mustang
Fuel Pump Replacement Done Right
Fuel Filter Mount Replacement Chevrolet
Fuel Filter Replacement Chevrolet Silverado