I HAVE AN 02 LIBERTY SPORT

2002 Jeep Liberty

Anonymous

November, 7, 2012 AT 11:41 PM

I have an 02 Liberty Sport. I had a bad connection to the alternator which finally degraded the alternator and I just replaced it. However, now when I start the jeep in the morning or after several hours of it sitting, the dash panel will flicker and eventually go dead. If I then leave it on, give it gas and keep the rpms up, the dash will kick back in and everything is golden. But I'm afraid the new alternator might have an issue or the regulator is not charging the battery at the right times.

If its a bad regulator, where is it and where can I get a replacement? The newer jeep carry them externally right? And not in the alternator?

caradiodoc

November, 8, 2012 AT 7:02 AM

The voltage regulator is in the Engine Computer and causes very little trouble. Start by measuring the battery voltage with the engine running. It must be between 13.75 and 14.75 volts. If it is low, measure the voltages on all three wires on the alternator and we'll go from there.

Alternator Replacement Ford Super Duty
Alternator testing done right
Alternator Replacement Chevrolet Silverado