CLICKIN NOISE FROM UNDER SHIFTER - CENTER CONSOLE

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee

tommargu

September, 19, 2012 AT 11:51 PM

I just had my transmission rebuilt and I am hearing a clicking noise from under the shifter when I slow down. Sounds like it is winding down when I am braking. People have told me it may be a shift interlock solenoid or cable? Is this possible and is it possible they didn't connect it when re-installing the transmission? Thanks

September, 20, 2012 AT 2:53 AM

No, it is not that. From your description, it may be something inside the trans making the noise or the transfer case. Did it have the noise prior to the re build?

Did you return to the shop for a follow up?

godzilla1

September, 20, 2012 AT 3:06 AM

Yes,
The 4 wheel drive was not connected so they connected it and said to drive it for a while?

September, 20, 2012 AT 3:17 AM

Why was it disconnected? We may have found your noise

godzilla1

September, 20, 2012 AT 3:21 AM

They installed a rebuilt transmission and I gues they forgot to reconnect it. They said the cap popped off? So they had to reconnect it. I was making the clicking noise immediately after the rebuild but the left 4wd shifter wasn't engaging. Now it is and it sounds like a clicking that is intermittent but louder and slower when braking. Thanks

September, 20, 2012 AT 3:23 AM

Cannot begin to guess without hearing it.

You need to go back to the shop and get a straight answer as to the noise. Something is not right and needs to be corrected as you have spent good money for this repair.

September, 20, 2012 AT 4:05 AM

AMEN!

GET YOUR ANSWER IN WRITING. WE SORTA WANNA KNOW THE DEAL TOO

PLEASE TELL US WHAT KINDA 4WD SYSTEM YOUR RIG HAS (LIKE ALL WHEEL DRIVE. ETC)

IF YOUR ANSWERS AIN'T SUITABLE, BEFORE YOU SEEK A NEW SHOP, FIND SOME OF THEM "4WD BOYS" WITH THE BIG TRUCKS/ JEEPS THAT HANG OUT IN THE PARKING LOT. YOU KNOW, THE ONES THAT BUILT THEIR ON RIGS. THEY MIGHT GIVE YOU SOME CLUE ON WHAT MIGHT BE GOING ON.

PRETEND YOU ARE TRADING FOR A WRANGLER AT THE JEEP DEALER. LET THEM SUGGEST WHATS WRONG WHEN THEY DRIVE YOURS

SORTA THE BEST I CAN OFFER, FOR FREE, UNLESS YOU ARE NEAR WESTERN S.C.

godzilla1

September, 20, 2012 AT 4:13 AM

It makes the noise in neutral too.

September, 20, 2012 AT 4:26 AM

REPUTABLE SHOP?

STAND BEHIND THEIR WORK?

NEUTRAL IN 2WD.I RECKON THAT WOULDN'T MATTER, THE TRANNY OUTPUT SHAFT WOULD NOT TURN IN NEUTRAL ANYWAY

HOW 'BOUT THE TRANNY JUICE, IS IT AT THE CORRECT LEVEL?

SOUNDS LIKE IT'S AN INTERNAL TRANNY KINDA THING

I WOULD REFRAIN FROM DRIVING IT. MORE DAMAGE MIGHT RESULT. NO TO MENTION THE POSSIBILITY OF BEING "AFOOT"

tommargu

September, 21, 2012 AT 6:11 PM

Correction, it happens in neutral as well. I had the transmission shipped and installed locally so no warranty. I hear it most when I brake. Even in neutral.

September, 22, 2012 AT 2:23 AM

EVEN W/ NO WARRANTY (PERIOD OF TIME)

SURELY YOU DID NOT BUY IT "AS IS"

I WOULD THINK THEY WOULD STAND BEHIND IT AS WORKING CORRECTLY WHEN INSTALLED

HAVE YOU CONTACTED THEM?

Seat Switch Replacement GMC Yukon
Dynamat Door Installation
Cabin Air Filter Replacement
Replace Your Turn Signal Switch Like a Pro
Cabin Air Filter Replacement Saturn Vue
Cabin Air Filter Replacement Honda Civic