IGOT AREADING THAT I NEEDED AN EGR UNIT ...

2002 Isuzu Rodeo

Anonymous

April, 9, 2013 AT 12:47 PM

Igot areading that I needed an egr unit replaced it car start but later it wont catalyrt con vertor is not hot

Egr Valve

freemba

April, 9, 2013 AT 1:12 PM

The EGR will not prevent your vehicle from starting, so the problem must be somewhere else.

Start by checking for a spark, fuel pressure and compression.

To check for a spark: In order to check for a spark at one of the spark plug wires, remove the spark plug wire from the spark plug. Connect it to a spark tester and connect the other end of the spark tester to a good engine ground (a bolt will do fine). Have an assistant to crank the engine and you should see a spark jump the gap in the spark tester. If so, the ignition system is doing its job. If not more testing of the ignition system is required.
If a spark tester is not available, remove the spark plug wire from the spark plug, put a screwdriver into the end of the spark plug wire and lay it (horizontally) on a metal part of the engine (make sure you have about a inch gap between the metal part of the screwdriver and the metal part of the engine). Have an assistant to crank the engine and you should see a spark jump from the end of the spark plug wire to the metal engine surface. If so, the ignition system is working.

You'll need a fuelpressure gauge to check for fuel pressure. Once the key is turned to the ON position, you should get pressure from the pump [the pump runs for about 2 seconds to pressurize the line]. V-6 fuel pressure should be about 38-42 when running.