OIL LEAK

2002 Infiniti Q45

Zooboo1

December, 8, 2010 AT 7:42 PM

I have a 2002 QX4 Infinity-79K miles and am original owner. Brought my car in for the usual oil change at the 3K mark and when finished the mechanic asked if I had noticed any oil leaks. I told him no and asked why. He said I would need two seals upper and lower changed as they were beginning to leak. Not sure what leaks upper and lower he was referring as he told me the upper would be $800 plus and the lower $600 plus. Question -does this seem coincidental that 2 seals would need replacement? I baby this car and am perplexed as to this development. Since he told me about the leak I now see oil under the car.

Oil Leak From Engine

legitimate007

December, 8, 2010 AT 7:50 PM

No doesnt sound right, if you are concerned go somewhere for a second opinion, and furthermore, if you arent seeing any leaks, even on the ground, dont be concerned, (I sense some taking advantage of going on here)there are crooks out there like this, although im not accusing anyone. But if you dont see any leaks, get your car and go

Zooboo1

December, 8, 2010 AT 9:30 PM

Thanks Legitimate007 but my last sentence I think says it all

"Since he told me about the leak I now see oil under the car." Was he able to loosen something that would be readily seen by another mechanic. I just dont want to go shopping at additional cost if I actually have the problem. I am on Soc Sec-Thanks again

legitimate007

December, 8, 2010 AT 10:04 PM

Sorry about that, yes, he could have, and yes your last sentence does say it all, and makes these people all the more "bottom feeders" if what they are doing is try ing to scam you. It wasnt leaking before you took it in right? If not then yes that looks suspicious, im sorry

Zooboo1

December, 8, 2010 AT 10:41 PM

Thanks again-No it wasn.T leaking I would have known--Now I just have to find someone who will be reputable by recommendation

Zooboo1

December, 21, 2010 AT 8:00 PM

UPDATE December 14 2010 ( a week late)

Contacted some local friends and neighbors who recommended a mechanic group-2 fellows that branched out. I explained the above and brought the SUV in for inspection and possible work based on estimate. What impressed me was that the 2 man group that work this shop were both dealer mechanics that decided to go on their own. One decided to improve his skills in business in addition to his mechanical expertise. He not only recieved his bachelors but went on to his masters in business. I should have reached out to them initially. Bottom line is this. From the first estimate which prompted my inquiry to you folks of $600 for the upper seal and $800 for the lower seal, the reality was that they replaced the oil cooler total 616.53 including tax. A far cry from $1400 plus. Just wanted to give a resolution email to you with thanks

legitimate007

December, 22, 2010 AT 8:13 PM

Hey Zooboo1, thats great, sometimes you have to do the second and third opinion thing, (everybody does). The important thing is you did not go ahead and give those people the money they wanted for work that may have not been needed. Good move on your part, comeback anytime,
merry xmas
jody

Removing Stripped Drain Plug
Replace Oil Pressure Sensor
Valve Cover Gasket Replacement Toyota Corolla
Crankshaft Main Seal Replace - Front