RATTLING NOISE UNDER THE HOOD

2002 Honda Civic

CarissaD232

My car makes a rattling noise under the hood when the car is in motion. I can be pressing the gas and it makes the noise, or coasting in neutral and it makes the noise. Sometimes it is very* loud, and sometimes unnoticeable. The noise stops when I am idle at a light or parked. Unfortunately since I can't pinpoint the source under the hood (when idle), I have to guess that it is coming from the under the hood in the center, but slightly skewed to the right. Any ideas?

F4I_guy

January, 20, 2011 AT 12:10 AM

Typically these noises are exhaust related. If you cannot find any loose exhaust heat shields or worn components, I would check to see if the alternator is buzzing around. The alternator mounting bolts sometimes become loose over-time. Under extreme circumstances, you will have to replace the alternator bracket if the threads are badly worn.