HOW DO YOU REPLACE THE OIL PAN ON MY 2002 HONDA...

2002 Honda Civic

neil2002civic

November, 18, 2012 AT 9:05 PM

Hi How do you replace the oil pan on my 2002 Honda Civic LX. It has the steel pan and has rusted through. I also would like to know how long to do the job.

November, 18, 2012 AT 9:56 PM

Oil Pan Removal

If the engine is out of the vehicle, go to step 6.

Raise the vehicle on the hoist to full height.
Drain the engine oil.
D17A2 engine: Disconnect the primary heated oxygen sensor (primary HO2S) connector and secondary heated oxygen sensor (secondary HO2S) connector, then remove the exhaust pipe A/ three way catalytic converter (TWC).
D17A6 engine: Disconnect the third heated oxygen sensor (third HO2S) connector, remove the exhaust pipe A/TWC assembly.
D17A1 engine: Remove the exhaust pipe/muffler assembly.
Remove the bolts/nuts securing the oil pan.
Remove the oil pan.

November, 18, 2012 AT 9:57 PM

About 2 hours for us, double it for you

neil2002civic

November, 18, 2012 AT 10:37 PM

Thanks for the quick response. I read that you have to put Hondabond/ Permatex in certain spots on the pan and block. Is this correct? Or do I put it up dry? Will be working on a lift not the ground. Thanks Neil

November, 18, 2012 AT 10:43 PM

Honda bond is the gasket. Get it with the oil pan.

neil2002civic

November, 18, 2012 AT 11:36 PM

My car is not an EX with an aluminum pan witch takes no gasket. It is an LX with a steel pan, it has a gasket. In the manual it shows points where the hondabond is used. My question was do I use the hondabond or put it up dry. Seen various articles so I just want to be sure witch is correct. Please check Roy. Neil

November, 18, 2012 AT 11:45 PM

Ok, I understand. The pan does not come with a gasket, steel or aluminum. I always use just honda bond on either. You can do what you want. I dont believe the internet as I fix them all day long for over 40 years.

Good luck

neil2002civic

November, 19, 2012 AT 2:41 PM

Sounds like you are full of yourself/cocky I guess you know better than Honda Glad you don't work on my car. BTW your answers are so generic anybody could have given me those answers. There are gaskets for certain applications. Do your homework! There is a large mount and converter cover needs to be removed also. You should have known this with 40 years experience. This was a waste of my time & money

November, 19, 2012 AT 3:46 PM

Sorry but I am who I am. I have done many and cannot repeat each and every step. Honda does not use a gasket from the factory, just the honda bond as I told you. Believe me or not but that is the way it is. Sorry that you dont care for me but I am here and you are there at the car.

Crankshaft Main Seal Replace - Front
Engine Oil Change and Filter Acura TSX
Oil Change and Filter Dodge Charger
Engine Oil Change and Filter
Oil Change & Filter Replacement Honda Accord