GRINDING SOUND WHEN STARTED COLD

2002 Honda Civic

Davewithdiesel

August, 8, 2012 AT 4:17 AM

I am still figuring out the detials of this problem but what I have is only when it is cold when the engine is started there is a loud grinding" sound only until the car is put into gear once it stops it needs to sit overnight to do it again

racefan966

August, 8, 2012 AT 4:41 AM

Is this an auto or manual trans? Have you replaced anything yet and if so what?

Davewithdiesel

August, 8, 2012 AT 5:00 AM

Automatic transmission nothing replaced yet oil is full transmission is within the marks this is for a friend's car she is going record the sound when it acts up again and walk around the car while recording

racefan966

August, 8, 2012 AT 3:00 PM

Ok it could be the starter sticking, which would make lots of noise. Once you have the sound loaded up I will listen to see if it sounds like the starter sticking to the ring gear on the flex plate. If so I would start with checking the starter relay.

Davewithdiesel

August, 8, 2012 AT 3:20 PM

That was my theory I will be checking that when I can

racefan966

August, 9, 2012 AT 2:16 PM

Ok when you are ready let me know and have a digital multi meter handy and I will look up the diagram on it and walk you through the test ok.

Oil Change and Filter Dodge Charger
Brake Shoe/Drum Replacement - Rear
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chevrolet