OVERHEATING

2002 Honda Accord

johnrodriguez726

August, 5, 2014 AT 8:02 PM

My car overheated on the way to work by the time I got there it started to smoke a bit I know its bad because of that but havent got a clue what it could be. The radiator was cold and the resovior was still full just the engine was heated up.I left the car on for a minute and it idled really rough then low then it stalled. Could it be a blown head gasket? I dont smell anything weird in the exhaust and dont see any smoke.I checked the oil and it wasnt milkey or watery

Ty Anderson

August, 5, 2014 AT 10:51 PM

If your engine over heated for a long period of time most likely the head gasket has failed causing the engine to stall. It depends on where the head gasket has failed, it usually (w/overheating) failed between to adjacent cylinders significantly reducing cylinder compression resulting in engine stall. However, is could be elsewhere.
A basic compression test of all four cylinder should show whether there is a loss in compression relative to the other cylinders.

Thermostat Replacement Chrysler PT Cruiser
Thermostat Replacement Mercedes Benz C230