UTE RUNS GREAT BUT AFTER ABOUT 5 MINUTES THE ...

2002 Holden Rodeo

wayne4647

February, 3, 2013 AT 6:11 AM

Ute runs great but after about 5 minutes the check engine light illuminates. The battery seems to be overcharging and spewing water from the vents. Any ideas what could be wrong? Driving seems like nothing is wrong. Smooth engine performance and idle is calm and smooth. Just that light is on.

mhpautos

February, 3, 2013 AT 6:13 AM

Probably a faulty voltage regulator in the alternator, check the actual charge rate at the out put of the alternator first, anything over 14.2 volts will be a faulty reg.

wayne4647

February, 3, 2013 AT 6:39 AM

Checked the voltages. Battery now static at 15.77 volts, at idle alternator showing 17.7 volts. Think the alternator needs to be changed?

mhpautos

February, 3, 2013 AT 6:42 AM

Way to high and proberbly by now the battery has buckled the plates as it has been well and truly cooked by now.

wayne4647

February, 3, 2013 AT 8:33 AM

Having a problem. Vehicle came without a manual and I am not sure what the engine spec is. All I can get is that it is a 6 cylinder, petrol fuel, 3.2L V-6 D1. The spec plate in the vehicle says the motor is a RLV. Can you help me figure out which motor I have so I can purchase the new alternator. Thank you.

mhpautos

February, 3, 2013 AT 8:36 AM

Give those details to an auto elect even repco or bursons who ever you can deal with, they should be able to work out the correct alt, you may have to take it off and read the numbers on the alternator.

wayne4647

February, 3, 2013 AT 8:26 PM

How do I release the belt tensioner on a 2002 rodeo v 6 motor

wayne4647

February, 3, 2013 AT 9:21 PM

Ok have the alternator removed and the main power lead removed. My problem now is how to release the 2 wire cannon plug on the alternator. Do I just pull it off or are there some release that I do not see. Thanks.

mhpautos

February, 4, 2013 AT 8:11 AM

There is a small tang you have to push and pull the plug at the same time.

wayne4647

February, 5, 2013 AT 6:34 AM

I want to thank you, the job is done with your assistance and runs fine now. Thank you once more, bye 4 now.

mhpautos

February, 5, 2013 AT 8:18 AM

Thank you, glad to be of help

Cheers, Mark