High idle problem

MBOB2772
  • 2002 FORD WINDSTAR
High idle problem. I had it scanned at a friends shop, and he said the iac was bad and needed replaced. I did so, and the problem still persists. We checked for vacuum leaks and all are good. Even tried changing maf, egr, pcv and tps and cleaned the throttle body. Now I have no codes, but it still idles high when I start it for about 10-20 seconds, and also when driving when you take your foot off the gas it seems to continue to go for a few seconds. Also if I unplug the IAC it runs and drives great, doesn't stall. I did notice that the new iac has a spring and brass rod in it as the original did not is it possible that I need to get one from the dealer? I thought possibly the replacement iac was defective so I took it back and exchanged it for another new one. Any help would be great.

Wednesday, November 21st, 2012 AT 1:11 AM

This sounds like you have a problem with the EGR valve not closing all the way. Here is a video to help you test it.

https://youtu.be/DqUCbbKdWf4

Here is the valve location (below)

Please let us know what happens.

Cheers
Wednesday, November 21st, 2012 AT 1:49 AM
MBOB2772
We checked for vacuum leaks and everything checked out ok
Wednesday, November 21st, 2012 AT 2:38 AM
I would try the EGR valve
-1
Wednesday, November 21st, 2012 AT 3:04 AM
MBOB2772
I gave it a try and sure enough the valve was bad, good call I didn't think that would do it but I was wrong. I love this site.
+1
Wednesday, November 21st, 2012 AT 4:55 AM
Use 2CarPros anytime, we are here to help. Please tell a friend.

Cheers
Wednesday, November 21st, 2012 AT 2:21 PM