2002 TARUS SAT FOR A YEAR NOW CLICKING WHEN SLOW FORWARD

• buddy444
  • 2002 Ford Taurus

My 2002 tarus which sat for about a year because of needing a new starter and battery has been fixed but now it makes a pretty loud "clicking" noise whenever it's in drive and moves slowly forward. It also feels like it doesn't want to go, almost like as if the emergency brake was left on.
But it isn't on and hadn't been used before. It doesn't seem to make the sound going backwards. I haven't taken it out for a drive because I want to add/change oil and put in fresh gas along with a stabilizer or stp.
Do you have any ideas? My thought was cv joints or maybe just needing to
get the fluids circulating? Please help. Thanks, Bill

Wednesday, April 11th, 2012 AT 2:39 AM

• caradiodoc

Since it only does it going forward, you might suspect rusted rear brake drums and the shoes are catching and releasing with a snap. That rust commonly forms overnight from the humidity in the air, and it would certainly be worse after a year. The clue is you will probably not be able to move the car when pushing it by hand on flat ground. Driving it and using the brakes will wear the rust off. You might also find the rear wheels lock up very easily the first few times you apply the brakes. That will clear up too. I have a car that skids the rear wheels at the end of my granite driveway the first stop of the day, then it's fine after that. Just normal surface rust on the drums.

Wednesday, April 11th, 2012 AT 3:09 AM