POWER STEERING...

2002 Ford Taurus

Isaish

October, 28, 2013 AT 2:27 PM

Power steering overflowing and is leaking down on the engine's manifold. I'm thinking new power steering fluid? I really don't know or what happened. How or what do I do from there? I need to be specific, instead of being ripped off by mechanics

caradiodoc

October, 28, 2013 AT 3:24 PM

Is it overflowing from the reservoir or is something just leaking? A common problem on Fords is air in the system causes the power steering fluid to gush out of the reservoir, but only when you stop the engine and only after some other service was performed that resulted in air getting in the system. A number of tools have been developed to get the air out. You may need to visit a mechanic who is experienced with this problem once the cause is determined and solved.

Isaish

October, 29, 2013 AT 8:42 AM

Yes it was was gushing out when the engine was turned off, and yes out of the reservoir, sorry. But I myself changed my fuel filter recently, could that be the problem? Will I be able to fix myself?

caradiodoc

October, 29, 2013 AT 12:35 PM

The fuel filter is not related to this problem. Air got into the power steering fluid somehow. There are vacuum devices that get attached to the reservoir. By putting the fluid under vacuum, the air expands and is supposed to be easier to expel. The problem is air in a pocket will compress making the fluid level appear to be low, so you add some. When the engine stops, that air is free to expand again. That's what pushes the fluid out. Some auto parts stores have a special funnel to attach to the reservoir to catch that fluid and direct it right back in without the air. You might want to try one of those. Start and stop the engine a few times, and turn the steering wheel full-left to full-right to work any air bubbles out. Let it sit a few hours with that funnel still attached, then start the engine a few times again. Letting it sit will allow the tiny air bubbles mixed in the fluid to slowly float out.

Fuel Pump Replacement
Fuel Pump Replacement Ford Mustang
Fuel Pump Replacement Done Right