2002 Ford Ranger Rear wheel drive not responding

APPLESEEDNATION
  • 2002 FORD RANGER
  • RWD
Over the past few days I have been getting some squeaks and thumps out of my drivetrain, specifically towards the aft of the torque shaft. I inspected it and found nothing out of the ordinary, I assumed it was my u-joints giving out. I knew they would last a few more hundred miles, so I had planned on replacing them later in the month. I work construction and take my truck right to the sites, I had popped a curb to get to the site, and the squeaks and thumps stopped. I just assumed the bump pushed what ever it was back into alignment. Last night coming home though, the noises came back (on sharper turns and while coasting, while straight and accelerating it was silent). So this morning I pull out to go to work and reverse from the driveway. I reverse into the street, and put it in first gear, suddenly my vehicle won't move. I put it back in reverse and it again won't move. I had thought the clutch burnt out and it wouldn't go into gear, however, the torque shaft still spins in gear, and doesn't spin in neutral. At the same time my aft passenger side tired seemed it was leaking oil, I thought it was my lucky day and two breaks happened back to back, but now since I know that vehicle still goes in gear, and there is still resistance on the clutch, I believe the oil is leaking from somewhere in my axle case, but I don't want to blindly tear into it. On top of all the symptoms, my brakes pedal has extremely high tension, and often does fully recess out to me, and when it does, the pumps I get out of it gives off a bleeding air sound. Any ideas of where I should dig into or what my problem might be?
Thursday, May 29th, 2014 AT 1:34 PM

Checkfor a blown axle, if the drive shaft turns and you don't go anywhere it's blown an dsecondly check for a blown wheel cylinder where you see all the oil as well as a bad seal and possible wheel bearing.
Thursday, May 29th, 2014 AT 4:21 PM
APPLESEEDNATION
Took off my pumpkin, and still had a ton of oil come out on me. But, all my gears and rotors are still spinning in gear. I also found a ton of metal shavings and a bent c-washer in the bottom of my pan. Completely at a loss of what's going on. Any idea where inside that c-washer came from?
Sunday, June 1st, 2014 AT 4:15 PM
Yup see pic item 24 is c washer check inside pumpking for blown gears there an dlook carefully at pinion to see if it is damaged if it is the rear end will need to be rebuilt. Also look at the carrier(where the ringgear bolts to) for damage like cracks, especially where the pin comes through it. If you took it out without removing the pin look for a broken axle.
Sunday, June 1st, 2014 AT 5:03 PM
APPLESEEDNATION
I completely dismantled my differential, luckily, after inspection, no gear teeth are chipped anywhere on my pinion or ring, no surface cracks of any sort, and in gear they all move solidly. But when I removed the gears, my cross pin was snapped in half, the end with the bolt was fractured in four pieces, the bolt itself bent, and the other end was chewed up by the ring. This accounts for all the shavings in my pan. Is it possible the cross pin moving freely in that sleeve was the clicking I was hearing while coasting? And could the lack of the c-washer spacing my gears to the axle be the reason I'm not getting any movement in my wheels?
Sunday, June 1st, 2014 AT 8:41 PM
With the c clip bent or fallen off you are very lucky you didn't loose a wheel as that holds the axle in. The pin rarely breaks and now you will have to look to see if you can get eh screw out of the diff housing as it broke because the pin was found in pieces. The large ring and pinion gears for any damage as well as items 4&5 along with the wahsers that go beind them an dwhere the pin goes through the case make sure that is not elongated. If that is all ok and you can get the bolt out that holds the pin in place then it can be fixed and reset to specs. But make sure to check axles as well for broken or cracked/worn anything like that. You may have a bad wheel bearing that started all this. As you said you were bathed in fluid when you took the pan off. And yes the clicking was probably the broken pieces in rear end making the noise.
Monday, June 2nd, 2014 AT 6:32 AM
APPLESEEDNATION
I found a single tooth missing on my pinion, what a shame. I have also been unable to get the built of my lock pin out of my spider gear, there doesn't seem to be enough clearance off the ring. Any ideas oh how to pull it out? I've also been unsuccessful at pulling the ring from the main spider gear assembly. I'm very much at a stand still on this project.
Wednesday, June 4th, 2014 AT 7:13 PM
In orede to get the ring gear off you need to remove the bolts which may be left handed thread and then give it a smack with arawhide or soft type hammer it should pop right off. For the bolt you might try some heat on the case to get it off the threads will be below the head of the bolt, these can be a pain in the butt to get off sometimes.
Thursday, June 5th, 2014 AT 6:29 AM