2002 Ford Mustang battery light

GEORGIADAWGS2015
  • 2002 FORD MUSTANG
  • RWD
My alternator and battery tests good. What could be the cause for my battery light to flicker during hard acceleration?
Tuesday, August 11th, 2015 AT 6:22 AM

CHECK THE SMALL CONNECTIONS ON IT

IF IT'S GOT A FEMALE SPADE CONNECTOR

SQUEEZE THE SIDES A LITTLE MAKE IT CONNECT TIGHTER TO THE SPADE

LEMME KNOW IF THIS DOES IT

Tuesday, August 11th, 2015 AT 10:48 AM
2CARPROS MIKE
Georgiadawgs2015

My 02 mustang gt does not have female spade connector on the alternator. Still trying to find out why my battery light is flickering on and off.
Thursday, August 13th, 2015 AT 9:45 AM
WHAT KINDA TESTS WERE DONE TO THE BATTERY AND ALTERNATOR?

Thursday, August 13th, 2015 AT 3:34 PM
2CARPROS MIKE
Georgiadawgs2015

My battery and alternator was tested at auto zone.
Friday, August 14th, 2015 AT 9:35 AM
I'VE BEEN POURING OVER WIRING DIAGRAMS AND ARTICLES PERTAINING TO MR. ALTERNATOR IN "PRODEMAND"

AFTER STUDYING THIS STUFF FOR SOME TIME, I "MAY" HAVE YOU A POSSIBILITY

YOU HAVE ALREADY SHOT DOWN THE ROUTE I WAS GONNA STEER YOU TO, I FIGGERED WE HAD DONE SOME BACKYARD TESTING!

ME BEING A JEEP KINDA GUY AND ACCUSED OF BEING A GRANDMA DRIVER, IT DID TAKE ME A WHILE TO COME UP WITH A CONCLUSION

YOU HAVE A 'STANG W/ THE BIGGER ENGINE

"HARD ACCELERATION" REALLY MEANS "GETTIN' ON IT"! (NOT MY KIND OF LAUNCHING AT ALL)

SO HERE'S THE POSSIBILITY I HAVE COME UP WITH

MAYBE SOME OR ALL OF THESE FACTORS MIGHT PLAY IN?

WE HAVE A "BEEN AROUND THE BLOCK" A TIME OR TWO "CRANKSHAFT PULLEY" (SLIGHTLY WORN?)

MAYBE THE BELT TENSIONER, TENSIONED BETTER WHEN IT WAS A BIT NEWER?

MAYBE MR. BELT JUST AIN'T LIKE IT WAS WHEN IT WAS PUT ON?

MAYBE SLOP IN A LITTLE LUBRICANT ON THE BELT FROM A LEAK?

HERE'S THE KICKER!

AND I JUST DON'T SEE ANY WAY TO TEST IT (OTHER THAN MAYBE AUDIBLE, I FEEL SURE YOUR RIG MIGHT DROWN IT ALL OUT WHILE IN HYPER SPEED MODE!)

I BELIEVE WHEN YOUR FOOT HITS THE FLOOR, MR. CRANKSHAFT PULLEY STARTS FREE SPINNING ON THE BELT (MAYBE FROM ONE OR ALL OF MY SUGGESTIONS)

BASICALLY, THE BELT STOPS OR SLOWS WAY DOWN, ENOUGH TO WHERE THE ALTERNATOR STOPS ALTERNATING! BEING THAT THE LIGHT FLICKERS THE BELT IS GETTING SOME TRACTION FROM TIME TO TIME (AT A FAST PACE) UNTIL THINGS LEVELED BACK OUT TO NORMAL.

THIS MIGHT BE DUPLICATED AT AUTOZONE BY SLACKENING THE BELT ON THEIR TESTER (BUT THAT WOULD JUST BE WASTED TIME AND EFFORT)

I BELIEVE THAT THE REST OF THE PULLEYS, EVEN IF WORN SOMEWHAT, WOULD HAVE NO BEARING ON THE POSSIBLE SLIPPING,

OTHER THAN WHAT EVER SYSTEMS THOSE PULLEYS DRIVE ARE ALSO EXPERIENCING THE MULTIPLE HICCUPS THE "DRIVE PULLEY" ARE PRODUCING. (LIKE POWER STEERING HESITATIONS?)

WOW!

THAT ALL REALLY SOUNDED GOOD!

MAYBE I'LL GET A RAISE!

WHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHTS ON THIS?

Friday, August 14th, 2015 AT 4:53 PM
2CARPROS MIKE
Georgiadawgs2015

I changed the alternator again. So for battery light not coming on. I've heard mustangs are bad on alternators?
Monday, August 17th, 2015 AT 10:21 AM
THAT'S GOOD NEWS THAT THE LIGHT IS NOT COMING ON NOW.

DID YOU HAVE THE OLD ONE RETESTED? IF SO, WHAT DID THEY SAY WAS MESSING UP? (YEP, I KNOW, IT PROBABLY HAD A PASS OR FAIL LIGHT, NO ELABORATION)

I DID'NT SEE ANYTHING IN PRODEMAND THAT SUGGESTED THERE WERE ANY PROBLEMS. I ALSO CALLED A FRIEND (MANAGER) AT AN AUTO PARTS STORE TO SEE IF 'STANGS HAD AN ALTERNATOR REPUTATION AS COMPARED WITH OTHER VEHICLES.

WHILE LOOKING ONLINE AT ADVANCE AUTO PARTS I SAW THERE WERE SEVERAL DIFFERENT AMP RATINGS ON ONES THAT FIT YOUR CAR.

THEY HAD DIFFERENT PRICES AS WELL AS WARRANTIES. "RUMOR CONTROL" HAS IT THAT NEW STUFF IS BETTER THAN RE-MANUFACTURED STUFF. I DON'T AGREE, ANYTHING CAN FAIL, ANYTHING MIGHT ALSO LAST A LONG TIME. I ALWAYS BUY ANYTHING THAT HAS A LIFETIME WARRANTY FOR MY JEEPS! I GO TO THE EXTENT OF "COPYING ONTO REAL PAPER" THOSE PRONE TO FADE THERMAL RECEIPTS.

IN JUST DOING THIS AND KEEPING THEM ALL IN A BINDER, HAS SAVED ME SO MUCH MONEY. SEEMS THAT ANYMORE IF I HAVE A "COMMON" PARTS FAILURE, I DON'T LOOK IN MY WALLET! I JUST TAKE THE PART AND MY BOOK WITH ME. NO QUESTIONS ARE ASKED! NO "MAYBEs OR IFFYS", I GIVE 'EM THE OLD PART AND I GET MY "FREE PART" AND GO!

MY REMAN LIFETIME WARRANTY ALTERNATOR IS THE OLDEST ITEM IN MY BOOK, GOT IT 1989, AND HAVE HAD TO REPLACE IT MAYBE 4 TIMES? ALL FOR FREE AND MAYBE 15-30 MINUTES OR SO OF FREE LABOR ON MY PART.

AT THE BOTTOM IF THIS LINK, YOU CAN SEE A FEW PAGES OF MY BOOK

http://www.2carpros.com/questions/1993-jeep-grand-cherokee-no-spark-on-two-wires

JUST AN IDEA FOR YOU TO PONDER

Monday, August 17th, 2015 AT 6:43 PM