MY DIPSTICK TUBE BROKE OFF.

2002 Ford Focus

dmartin01

December, 8, 2011 AT 3:16 PM

Can I fix myself or have to take it to a mechanic. What is missing that I would need?Is there a part that is missing from the tube or engine that needs to be replaced, to put the tube back in?

cadieman

December, 8, 2011 AT 4:04 PM

This part is pressed into the block. Youll need to remove the piece still in the block. Buy a dip stick tube. Youll see the part thats still in the block on the new tube. You can screw a course screw in the hole. Then try and pry the broken piece out of the block by prying with plires or wire cutters and a screwdriver for leverage to help pull it out. If no youll need to have a tech remove it. Then you just tap the new one in.

dmartin01

December, 10, 2011 AT 3:55 PM

Cadieman, I had a mechanic look at it and he basically did what you said. He said that the part that broke off, was so flush to the block, (welded to block) that there was no way to get it out. He mentioned that it would be more extensive work, and that he would have to go through the oil pan, take off other parts, but no gaurantee that it will be able to come out. Is this fixable w/o the large expense?

cadieman

December, 10, 2011 AT 4:44 PM

You'll need a easy out kit. You basically install a tap then you use the tool to pull it out. This guy either doesn't know how to remove it or he likes your money.

December, 11, 2011 AT 4:14 AM

TAKE A 1/4 -3/8 STEEL ROD----WHATEVER WILL GO INSIDE THE HOLE

LETS MAKE IT AT LEAST 2 FEET LONG

ON ONE END, GRIND THE SIDE OF THE ROD STARTING AT MAYBE 1/2 FROM THE END---UP TO 3-4 INCHES UP

THE REST SHOULD FALL INTO PLACE

SEE DIAGRAM

December, 11, 2011 AT 4:16 AM

LETS MAKE IT AT LEAST 2 FEET LONG

THE REST SHOULD FALL INTO PLACE

SEE DIAGRAM

Jacobandnickolas

December, 11, 2011 AT 4:56 AM

Good idea. IF you use the slide hammar, make sure you are only catching the broken tube so nothing gets broken. Other than that, it should come out.

dmartin01

December, 11, 2011 AT 7:31 PM

Being as though I am a female whos is not mechanically inclined, do any of ou live in Dallas. Or can recommend someone who can do this? I am due for another oil change. I will ask if they can do it there at the mechanic shop. Any more suggestions are welcomed. And I Thank You for all the help that has been given.

Oil Change & Filter Replacement Ford Taurus
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement Ford Escape
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chevrolet Tahoe
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chrysler
Brake Pads and Rotor Replacement - Front Ford
Engine Oil Change and Filter Mercedes Benz
Engine Oil Change and Filter Mercedes ML350
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement Honda Element