CHARGING PROBLEMS

2002 Ford Focus

skipp930

June, 11, 2014 AT 6:56 PM

Changed battery, alternator, charges when first started, 10 mintues later, not charging, battery light on? Not on constantly, on and off, when giving gas goes off, idling up and down?

Ty Anderson

June, 12, 2014 AT 10:20 AM

The charging system is controlled by the vehicle's computer. Lets assume the battery & alternator is good because you replaced them. Next, is the wiring to the alternator. Disconnect the electrical wiring connector at the alternator and make sure both wires (not the large red cable) are not broken. Either wire is brake were the wires run into the main wiring harness. Give each wire a tug away from the main harness and make sure were the two wires go into the connector are not broken.
Thanks for the question

skipp930

June, 12, 2014 AT 2:06 PM

Thankyou very much, I got the old alternator tested today, and it was good? So now I'm really getting worried.

Ty Anderson

June, 12, 2014 AT 2:13 PM

Really inspect those wire well. Open the plastic covering they're in to make sure and when done reinstall the plastic cover and tape up with electrical tape.
This is what I usually see is that the charging system is still function (without the computer or the signal wire to tell the battery light to come on) just the broken wire or the vehicle's computer but that is unlikely not impossible

skipp930

June, 13, 2014 AT 4:42 PM

Well we checked the car this morning at work, and now it wont charge at all.( My car is broke down at my work) Guess I'll end up having to put it in a shop after all. Had a mechanic at work change the alternator, then it was still messing up, they are all old school mechanics, don't know much about computers on cars. We do have a ford computer we can plug in on my car at work, he said that it didn't have a code? If it makes a light come on shouldn't there be a code to tell me whats wrong? I'm really upset with this car. Thankyou people for your help. At least someone is trying to help me.

Ty Anderson

June, 24, 2014 AT 11:10 PM

The large red wire attached to the alternator has a fuse like device within the wire called a fuseable link meaning this link will melt & open the circuit to prevent current flow out of the alternator.
Do you have experience with a voltmeter?

Vacuum Leak Test and Repair - All Cars
Clean Idle Air Control Ford Super Duty 5.4L
Easily Clean Your Throttle Bore Like a Pro