SPORT TRAC

2002 Ford Explorer

gwn67

June, 19, 2013 AT 6:22 PM

This is a problem that has been on going. And I am going to buy this truck. Everything runs fine with the truck
until you fill the gas tank up. If you fill it to about 75% it is fine, no problem. But if you fill it up full, it will run and then shut off just like it is out of gas. Once it gets down to 3/4 the problem goes away and it runs just fine. It may be a fairly easy problem to fix, just wanted to see if anyone else has this problem and able to fix it.

Thank you

saturntech9

June, 19, 2013 AT 6:30 PM

Do you have any codes in the computer? Also if you loosen the gas cap will it run good again?

gwn67

June, 19, 2013 AT 6:34 PM

There are no codes, but I might try the gas cap thing.I had thought that perhaps it might be a defective cap causing the problem.?

freemba

June, 19, 2013 AT 7:23 PM

There is also a vent tube which runs along side the main gas tank filler tube. If this tube is clogged it will cause this problem.
Also, the charcoal canister (near the gas tank) will fill with liquid gas when you overfill the gas tank. This floods the engine with gas causing it to stall.
You'll have to go under the vehicle to check the canister to see if it has liquid gas in it (it is designed to only handle gas fumes).

saturntech9

June, 19, 2013 AT 8:00 PM

Also if the vent valve is not working correctly.

Fuel Pump Replacement Done Right
Fuel Pump Replacement
Fuel Pump Replacement Ford Mustang
Fuel Filter Replacement Ford Mustang
Fuel Filter Replacement Chevrolet Silverado
Fuel Filter Replacement Ford Escape 2000-2006