2002 FORD EXPLORER SPORT TRAC

• gwn67
  • 2002 Ford Explorer

This is a problem that has been on going. And I am going to buy this truck. Everything runs fine with the truck
until you fill the gas tank up. If you fill it to about 75% it is fine, no problem. But if you fill it up full, it will run and then shut off just like it is out of gas. Once it gets down to 3/4 the problem goes away and it runs just fine. It may be a fairly easy problem to fix, just wanted to see if anyone else has this problem and able to fix it.

Thank you

Wednesday, June 19th, 2013 AT 6:22 PM

• saturntech9

Do you have any codes in the computer? Also if you loosen the gas cap will it run good again?

Wednesday, June 19th, 2013 AT 6:30 PM
  • gwn67

There are no codes, but I might try the gas cap thing.I had thought that perhaps it might be a defective cap causing the problem.?

Wednesday, June 19th, 2013 AT 6:34 PM
  • freemba

There is also a vent tube which runs along side the main gas tank filler tube. If this tube is clogged it will cause this problem.
Also, the charcoal canister (near the gas tank) will fill with liquid gas when you overfill the gas tank. This floods the engine with gas causing it to stall.
You'll have to go under the vehicle to check the canister to see if it has liquid gas in it (it is designed to only handle gas fumes).

Wednesday, June 19th, 2013 AT 7:23 PM
  • saturntech9

Also if the vent valve is not working correctly.

Wednesday, June 19th, 2013 AT 8:00 PM