NOISE AT THE REAR DIFFERENTIAL

2002 Ford Explorer

bersyl671

January, 26, 2012 AT 6:47 AM

When I drive the vehicle it makes this thumping noise and it sounds like it skips. The faster I go like 20mph or less it makes that noise like thump thump thump. I put it on jack stands and put it on drive it sounds like its coming from the differential pumpkin. What should I do?

January, 26, 2012 AT 7:05 AM

Sounds like there's a problem-Inspect the drive pinion/gear

January, 26, 2012 AT 7:11 AM

LET'S LOOK AT THE U-JOINTS 1ST---ALL OF THEM!

LETS GRAB EACH WHEEL, SEE IF IT HAS "SLOP", UP AND DOWN, AND LEFT AND RIGHT (REALLY WORN OUT WHEEL BEARINGS)

CHECK YOUR DIFFERENTIAL JUICE---PULL THE PLUG--IT SHOULD RUN OUT, OR BE ON THE VERGE OF RUNNING OUT

IF NOT, FILL IT UP TILL IT DOES W/ PROPER OIL (SEE OWNERS MANUAL)---NOTE HOW MUCH YOU HAD TO PUT IN, LET US KNOW

YOU CAN GET A PUMP SIMILAR TO MINE TO HELP INSTALL IT W/ OUT MAKIN' A BIG OLE MESS

ARE YOU SURE ABOUT DIFF?--NOT WHEEL OR TIRE NOISE? SWAP REAR TIRES TO THE FRONT, BUT ONE AT A TIME AND DRIVE IT. DO THIS BEFORE MOVING THE OTHER ONE FORWARDBUT ONLY IF YOU ARE NOT SURE. I'M NOT HERE TO WORK YOU TO DEATH!

RESULTS?

January, 26, 2012 AT 7:18 AM

FORGOT ONE

SEE HOW YOU ATTEMPT TO FLOP THE U-JOINTS TO LOOK FOR MOTION?

GRAB THE YOKE WHERE IT GOES INTO THE DIFF--PULL/ PUSH, ATTEMPT TO WOBBLE IT AROUND---IT SHOULD DO NOTHING BUT TURN! THERE SHOULD BE ABSOLUTELY NO SLOP/ WOBBLE/ OR MOVEMENT

Axle Bearing, Seal, E-Brake Shoes, Brake Pads
Axle Seal Replacement
Differential Fluid Drain/Refill
Differential Fluid Level Check
Differential Fluid Service - Front