DIFFERENTIAL PROBLEMS?

2002 Ford Explorer

bdanielson89

February, 3, 2011 AT 8:18 PM

2002 Ford Explorer V6 XLS rear end makes whining noise when accerlating, stops when I let of the gas, I have replaced the diff fluid today and noticed a few metal shavings, what is this, and can I fix this myself?

Docfixit

February, 3, 2011 AT 8:49 PM

Indicates pinion bearing and/or pinion gear and ring gear wear need to have backlash checked. Differential rebuilding requires specfic skills do would not recommend a DIYer to do this. Fill it full of LUCAS gear oil and drive it

bdanielson89

February, 4, 2011 AT 1:37 AM

I put in Valvoline and an additive reccomended by the local napa store owner, do you think this will buy me more time? I got an estimate today and fix would cost 1200 at the very least, I have to drive it to work its my only vehicle any other tips?

Docfixit

February, 4, 2011 AT 2:39 PM

Whine in pinion is not a death sentence can drive many miles. I would drive it and if it goes swaping rear end from salvage yard much cheaper way to go.

Axle Bearing, Seal, E-Brake Shoes, Brake Pads
Differential Fluid Change Ford F250
Differential Fluid Level Check
Differential Fluid Service Chevrolet 2500HD