BRAKE PAD QUESTION

2002 Ford Explorer

mbullion

May, 26, 2012 AT 4:25 PM

Hi there, I have an 02 explorer V8 4wd.I was looking at my front left brake pad (if your standing in front of the car) and noticed it was basically down to metal on metal. However, the other side has a lot more material left on it from what I can visibly see as are the rears. Any guidance as to why this may be? Could that one just have been replaced for some reason or do you suspect brake lines are going bad on that side? It's just weird that it's the one and not any others. Brake fluid level is full. It brakes just fine. But something is up. Help!

Front Disc Pads

Front Brake Pads

1 ANSWER

fixitmr

May, 26, 2012 AT 5:16 PM

Sounds like caliper is not self adjusting on that wheel.

cadieman

May, 26, 2012 AT 5:43 PM

This is caused by a sticking caliper piston seal. It will need to be rebuilt or replace the caliper.U want may advice put pads on it no need to worry.

mbullion

May, 26, 2012 AT 6:08 PM

So, in other words, if I leave it, replace the pads, that one will obviously continue to get worn down faster? No way to like bang on it or use some sort of tool to see if it would release lol. Just trying to explore my options and avoid future potential problems. Thanks!

May, 27, 2012 AT 4:39 AM

I HELP YOU OUT!

WHAT THE HECK LETS GO ALL OUT!

THESE ARE YOUR BRAKES--THEY ARE SORTA IMPORTANT, UNLIKE A BENT BUMPER YOU CAN BANG ON A TREE TO GET IT STRAIGHTER. AND IT REALLY DON'T MATTER

DO BOTH SIDES.I USED MY ZIP FOR PRICING.I GUESSED AT YOUR ENGINE

HERE'S YOUR CALIPERS---YOU'LL NEED CHECK, THERE IS A "LEFT" AND A "RIGHT", WHEN YOU CLICK EACH ONE YOU WILL SEE LOOKING AT THE PART NUMBERS. SAME PRICE. LIFETIME WARRANTY.I WENT WITH THE CHEAPER ONES

GRAB SOME NEW HOSES

L AND R ALSO!

HOW 'BOUT SOME PADS?

1 SET

WE'RE GONNA ASSUME THE ROTORS ARE GOOD OR CAN BE TURNED AND REUSED

SAVE A BUNDLE PAYING ONLINE AND PICKING UP AT THE STORE

DO WHATEVER YOU GOTTA DO TO GET WHAT YOU NEED OR CAN AFFORD---I WAS JUST TRYING TO HELP YOU SAVE SOME $$$, WITH MY EXAMPLE!

THIS ALSO WORKS AT OTHER AUTO PARTS STORES---AND MANY OTHER THINGS YOU BUY TOO

mbullion

May, 27, 2012 AT 4:50 AM

My rotors and pads are good all around minus the one wheel. I have had my mechanic look at it. So at worst I need to replace a caliper and maybe pads just to keep it all even.I'm not dumping 2 to 300 bucks into the car unless all rotors and pads are bad

cadieman

May, 27, 2012 AT 8:57 PM

Replace the caliper that will even it out.

fixitmr

May, 30, 2012 AT 7:17 PM

When the caliper squeezes tha pads tighten on rotor. The squeeze is applied from 1 side of caliper on most cars by piston. Thus in order for even wear to occur the caliper must SLIDE on it's mounts. If it binds/sticks the pressure is applied more to 1 pad then the other causing uneven wear.

Brake Pad and Rotor Replacement - Rear
Front Brake Pads & Rotor Replacement Chevy
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement
Replace Rear Brake Pad-Rotor Subaru Legacy
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement
Brake Pads and Rotor Replacement - Front
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement - Rear
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement - Front BMW M3