V10 ABS LIGHT ON RADIO FLICKERS TRUCK STALLS WHEN STOPPED NEEDS JUMP FOR RESTARTING

2002 Ford Excursion

stevesford

August, 5, 2011 AT 5:12 AM

2002 Excursion v6 10 cylinder : abs light comes on radio dims then blacks out and then dash lights shut off. Come to to a stoplight and truck stalls. Won't kick over and need a jump start to get the truck running. As long as I don't stop truck stays running. Also, a smell of electrical. Is it the alternator or a sensor? There has been corrosion on the one terminal. Battery was just replaced.

I will make a better donation if the question is answered fairly quick and seems reliable. Thank you

Cj Stalling When Idling

Stalling Out

caradiodoc

August, 5, 2011 AT 7:15 AM

Sounds typical of a bad diode in the generator. That will reduce its maximum output to one third of its rated capacity. With a common 90 amp unit, 30 amps is all it will be able to produce which is barely enough to run the fuel pump, ignition system, injectors, and a few lights with nothing left over to recharge the battery. Have a load test performed with a professional tester that also measures ripple voltage. With a bad diode that ripple will be very high.