Estimated repair cost to replace the front converter, EGR valve, DPFE and hoses on a 2002 Ford Escape

• 2002 FORD ESCAPE

This is my son's vehicle, the engine lost power, was not hot, no leaks, oil or coolant. He was still able to drive it. Took it to a ford dealer, had it tested codes P1401 and PO401. Plugged cat, EGR valve had a hole in it, DPFE melted and the hoses were gone. Also needs plugs, may as well put all parts associated with the plugs on it. Minus the plugs and parts, I am looking to see if the estimate that was quoted is accurate. For the cat, EGR and DPFE and hoses, quoted, parts only $2745.00! What a deal !
I checked I can get the cat for $480, EGR for $57 and DPFE $45.00. Something is wrong with this, don't you agree. $582.00 vs $2745.00 not including labor! A little help on this if you would.
I would be able to repair this myself with a little help from a ASE cert. Tech. Friend. But the vehicle is not here. Four hour tow bill would just complicate things even more. Thanks for your help in advance.

Saturday, March 24th, 2012 AT 3:34 PM

Call some muffler shops to get estimates.

Saturday, March 24th, 2012 AT 4:15 PM