ENGINE OIL SLUDGE

2002 Dodge Ram

jsfanch

What is the easiest way to fix engine oil sludge? I have a 2002 dodge ran 1500 with a 4.7L v8. It has about 78k miles. I have recently switched from conventional oil to senthetic and it seems like I have lost a very large amount of top end horse power. I do not have any check engine lights on nor do I have any bad sounds or vibrations. I believe that the problem is from sludge and am looking for the best fix for the truck.

caradiodoc

January, 28, 2011 AT 6:25 AM

Sludge shouldn't affect engine performance, at least not directly. It is more likely the sludge is a byproduct of something else that affects performance. I have two cars that have add-on filters that use a roll of toilet paper. You wouldn't believe how well they clean sludge. One trick you might try is adding about a half quart of automatic transmission fluid to the oil, then change the oil after a couple of days.

Engine Oil Change and Filter
Oil Change and Filter Dodge Nitro
Oil Change & Filter Replacement Kia Rio
Engine Oil Change and Filter Chevy Silverado
Engine Oil Change and Filter Ford Super Duty