I HAVE A 2002 DODGE RAM 1500 5

2002 Dodge Ram

Tim hedgcoth

March, 3, 2013 AT 12:30 PM

I have a 2002 dodge ram 1500 5.9 360. The check engine light keeps coming on it I reding random misfire on cyl2 nd sometimes cyl4. I have had a full tune up, had 2 different mechanics do a compression test both test came back good, 1 of the mechanics works at a dodge dealership and is certified with 10+ years, also had vacuum and leak down test dun checked out fine. Have been told it was full of carbon. Ran cleaners nd heat through engine I't did not work. Took into valvoline xpress care and had engine and fuel system cleaned. Said throttle body was dirty. Both mechanics say there is nothing wrong with engine. One mechanic sai it has more power than his dodge of the same year and the fuel mileage is great. Truck runs great but idles just a little rough. Have fixed 2 vacuum lines leaking. The cruise control won' t hold speed either. Could the PCM need to b replaced? The check engine light is a hard code. Also hd fuel system pressure checked and it held.

caradiodoc

March, 3, 2013 AT 12:45 PM

Try swapping two fuel injectors to see if the misfire moves to a different cylinder. If you have coil-on-plug ignition coils, swap two of them too.

Tim hedgcoth

March, 3, 2013 AT 12:49 PM

Have had coil pack checked and told it has too much power for it to b coil pack

caradiodoc

March, 3, 2013 AT 1:18 PM

That doesn't make sense. How can you have a misfire and have too much power?

If you have access to a scanner, do a cylinder balance test. That will let you turn off one injector at a time and watch how much the idle speed drops. That will verify the cylinder causing the misfire. Swap two injectors, then run the test again to see if the misfire moved to where you move one of the injectors to.

Tim hedgcoth

March, 3, 2013 AT 2:13 PM

Will try! The truck will burns the tires off with the pedal not even halfway down. One of the mechanics said they had a recall on the PCM 4 that year