CAM Markings

WFHORTON
  • 2002 DODGE INTREPID

My 2002 Intrepid 2.7L left camshafts have two different timing marks on each cam one is a yellow arrow the other is a dot that is embossed (just like the right side). Which marks are used to time the camshafts before putting on the timing chain?

Thursday, February 2nd, 2012 AT 8:24 PM

It should look like the pic i'm sending. Also when doing this always turn by crankshaft. Also crankshaft must be aligned wit timing mark BEFORE turning cams over to insure no piston/valve damage.

Thursday, February 2nd, 2012 AT 8:37 PM

See below

+1
Thursday, February 2nd, 2012 AT 8:42 PM
BIGB1029
  • 2002 DODGE INTREPID
  • MERGED

Timing belt broke trying to line up the left camshaft but wont line up? I have no compression are the valves bent.

Wednesday, December 28th, 2016 AT 10:21 AM
ASEMASTER6371
  • MERGED

If you have no compression yes, they are bent.

Dont need to line it up now, the heads have to come off for repair

EASTSIDEAUTOREPAIR
  • 2002 DODGE INTREPID
  • MERGED

2002 Dodge Intrepid 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic

Crank timing mark is "lined" with cam gear timing mark. When motor is turned 1 full cycle, timing marks do not stay "lined." Additionally, there is no compression at all, except for 1 cylinder. I have heard that it takes 60 revolutions before the timing marks are "lined." (1) engine has been disassembled and we are reassembling. (2) All fluids have been drained. Any help on timing and compression is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Wednesday, December 28th, 2016 AT 10:22 AM
  • MERGED

It takes 720degs to complete the engine 4 strokes in each cylinder.

Did you put the engine no.1 piston on its compression stroke before you align the cam and crank.

EASTSIDEAUTOREPAIR
  • MERGED

Yes, engine no. 1 piiston on its compression stroke before aligning the cam and crank. All cylinders were presurred tested and no leaks detected. Assembly of engine was completed.

Car would not start when engine cranked. IT STILL SOUNDS LIKE IT HAS NO COMPRESSION.

Are there any codes that need erasing? Any other tests/checks we need to try? Thanks for your help.

• MERGED

If you're getting the correct fuel pressure and fuel is being delivered into the cylinders and with proper ignition spark-it points back to valve and ignition timing problem.-Have you inspected the T/timing belt?

RMITCH37
  • MERGED

I was wondering if you ever found what was causing this? I'm having the same problem to! Thanks

• MERGED

Think about this logically. If it really took 60 revolutions for the timing marks to line up again, the cylinder would only produce a power pulse once every 60 revolutions. That would be really fantastic as far as fuel mileage is concerned, but you'd be pushing the car by hand.

Did you notice that the camshaft sprockets are not 60 times bigger than the crankshaft sprocket? In fact, the cam sprockets have exactly twice as many teeth as the crank sprocket. Reread what rasmataz said about 720 degrees. That's two revolutions of the crankshaft. Your timing marks will line up after every two revolutions of the crankshaft.

Did you use the special spacer when you installed the crankshaft position sensor? The air gap is critical. Without the spacer, it is possible on some engines to push the sensor in too far. It will hit the spinning flex plate and be destroyed. Instant no-start.