HELP

• Rita
  • 2002 Dodge Durango
  • automatic

Drives good until you slow down and let off the gas it dies, check engine light is not on, starts right back up but does it again once you slow down. Does it to when I pull in the driveway.

Saturday, April 16th, 2011 AT 12:09 AM

• caradiodoc

Sounds like the battery might have been disconnected or run dead recently. If so, the Engine Computer lost its memory and has to relearn "minimum throttle" before it will know when it must be in control of idle speed. It also might not give you the normal "idle flare-up" to 1500 rpm when you start the engine. To meet the conditions for the relearn to take place, drive at highway speed with the engine warmed up, then coast for at least seven seconds without touching the brake or gas pedals.

Saturday, April 16th, 2011 AT 12:37 AM
  • Rita

I have had it since november the battery has been good no problems since I have had it, I drive it to work everyday until today.

Saturday, April 16th, 2011 AT 12:41 AM
  • Rita

I was told to clean the idle control and throttle body would this too cause it?

Saturday, April 16th, 2011 AT 12:43 AM
  • Wrenchtech

You may have a bad IAC ( idle air control) but try eliminating any vacuum leaks and cleaning the throttle body first. Remove the intake snorkel, have someone hold the throttle wide open for you and scrub the back side of the throttle plate and surrounding bore with an old tooth brush and some carb cleaner. Be sure to spray some into the small holes next to the throttle plate. That should help stabilize the idle. If it still has a problem, replace the IAC.

Saturday, April 16th, 2011 AT 12:48 AM
  • Rita

Alright the update he cleaned the iac and throttle body. It stopped dying not it just hesitates when slow down and pull back out we give it fuel it hesitates. Then the engine light came on showing code PO172 PO172B we have no idea what this is. We changed both oxygen sensors still hesitating. Please help.

Tuesday, April 19th, 2011 AT 12:33 AM
  • Rita

The durango sits and idles good its the hesitation when giving it fuel and this code is all we got.

Tuesday, April 19th, 2011 AT 12:59 AM