I HAVE AN ENGINE NOISE THAT IS TICKING

2002 Chrysler Sebring

pecos texas

November, 3, 2011 AT 5:40 PM

I have a 2002 chrystler sebring convertible n I was experiencing a slight tcking noise coming from the engine that would in crease with the rpms n the car was abused n the noise became severe n now the engine sound horible n will just die if u try to move at first it would make the litle ticking noise then when the rpms would pass two it would get bad then stop now its just bad one u stat it it dnt even sound like a car its just a loud squekin noise n it wont even make it down the street I changed the oil n spark plugs

merlin2021

November, 3, 2011 AT 5:45 PM

Check the catalytic converter(s), the bed inside may have broken up and this is what you hear.

pecos texas

November, 3, 2011 AT 6:07 PM

Is it possible it could be the lifters

pecos texas

November, 3, 2011 AT 6:09 PM

Because the car wont even make it 50 feet

merlin2021

November, 4, 2011 AT 2:16 PM

Anything is possible, but if lifters are causing the problem check your oil pressure by removing the sending unit, screw in the test gauge, start car and take readings. If the converter(s) are causing it, it could get bad enough so it wont start. Also it will have severe power loss. Is you check engine light on or flashing? Also a timing belt slipping one or two teeth will cause it to run like a deisel and have low power.

Serpentine Belt Tensioner Replacement
Engine Oil Change and Filter GMC Sierra
Ignition System Test Guide