S10 4.3 PICKUP WON'T START AT TDC #1

2002 Chevrolet S-10

TVREMOTEGUY

June, 26, 2012 AT 9:40 PM

Car ran fine and turned car off. Two hours later turned car on and it shook violently and loud banging noise. This is a 2002 Chevy S10 pickup 4.3 times off computer and does not have timing plate. Changed slightly loose timing chain. When lifting distributer cap up, the rotor does not point to #1. It was between 4 and 6 it ran fine only above idle. On idle it shakes violently and in gear it won't move. On # 1 it pops while trying to start it won't start. Distributer, rotor, plugs and wires are new

June, 26, 2012 AT 9:43 PM

Reset the valve timing-put engine no.1 piston on its compression/TDC and align crankshaft pulley markings to TDC/0 and restab the distributor making sure the rotor is pointing to no.1 cap tower

TVREMOTEGUY

June, 26, 2012 AT 9:50 PM

It doesn't have one of those plates on the timing chain cover. Computer adjusts the timing. I brought #1 piston up to compression stroke. I put rotor on #1 now it doesn't, start it just pops.

TVREMOTEGUY

June, 26, 2012 AT 10:28 PM

Still need an answer to my question. The computer adjusts the timing so I can't reset.

June, 26, 2012 AT 10:30 PM

Its probably 180degs off-on the exhaust stroke-I'm aware about the computer controlling the ignition timing. Some need the EST wire disconnected to adjust the ignition timing

June, 26, 2012 AT 10:43 PM

TVREMOTEGUY

June, 27, 2012 AT 3:38 PM

Car starts now but it shakes and smells of gas. Added gum out fuel injection cleaner in. Fuel pump is ok. Fuses ok. New distributor, plugs and wires. Prior to all this the car ran fine, pulled into garage, turned car off for a few hours and then when turned on it shook violently and banging noise. Now while it starts it smells of gas. Idles for 10 seconds and then quits.

June, 27, 2012 AT 8:09 PM

Check the fuel pressure if its within specs with a guage

mikederouin88

June, 29, 2012 AT 11:29 AM

It does set the timing through the computer but you still have to manually set it right and then have the timing advanced with a diagnostic computer. The clunking is prolly one of the timing guides broken. And the timing mark for the crank is on the block not the cover

Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet
Crank Angle Sensor Replacement Mercedes Benz
Fuel Pump Replacement
Fuel Pump Pressure Test
Fuel Pump Replacement Done Right