Temperature Gauge on Hot and belts broke

2XTREMEFITNESS
  • 2002 CADILLAC DTS

While driving the Cadi DTS, the temperature guage went to Hot and monitor said A/C is Off - this is the first time it's ever done this. I immediately stopped and opened hood and a belt on the drivers side was ripped off and wrapped around a fan and some of the belt was still connected. On the passengar side, coolant was spilling out from underneath the car. A friend looked at the car and said it was some pulley system but he wasn't familiar enough w/Cadillac to know the specifics. Have you heard of this problem or how to fix it?

Thursday, October 13th, 2011 AT 4:51 PM

DAN_K
  • 222 POSTS

It sounds as if a pulley or accessory has locked up and destroyed the belt. Begin with a visual inspection, and when the car is cool check to see if the pulleys all spin freely.

The overheating condition was obviously caused by the loss of the belt - the water pump was not turning and circulating coolant properly.

Thursday, October 13th, 2011 AT 5:28 PM
2XTREMEFITNESS

When my friend and I went back to the car, we did attempt to turn the pulley. The bigger wheel didn't turn but the smaller wheel did.

Thursday, October 13th, 2011 AT 5:38 PM
DAN_K
  • 222 POSTS

There are several pulleys. Crank pulley (can't be turned by hand.), Water pump, Alternator, Power Steering Pump, A/C Compressor, idler pulley, tensioner, etc. Can you be more specific?

Thursday, October 13th, 2011 AT 10:50 PM

Other Instrument Cluster Gauge Engine Temperature Questions