BRAKING FAILED. INTERMITTENT PROBLEM I COMPACT

2002 BMW 316

damonsbeads

August, 3, 2012 AT 6:47 PM

I was reversing out of a carspace, went to apply brakes and foot went straight to floor. Brakes not working at all, pedal floppy. Pumped pedal and came back after time. Have not had a problem since! Had everything checked at garage, even checking pedal itself. A new master cylinder will cost in excess of £200. Is it necessary to replace this? Quite a worry that it may do it again.

August, 3, 2012 AT 7:01 PM

Such symptoms indicates the master cylinder is the most likely cause.

If the component is faulty, which is more important, 200 or your life? Vehicle is 10 years old and if the master cylinder is still good, it should also be due for repair/replacement if there are any brake related problems.

Docfixit

August, 3, 2012 AT 7:02 PM

Hold pressure on brake pedal if it slowly goes to floor then yes replace master. If it was me would replace or buy more life insurance

August, 3, 2012 AT 7:03 PM

Hey Doc,

Buying more insurance would only benefit others, lol.

damonsbeads

August, 4, 2012 AT 12:41 PM

Thanks for your replies. I do have life insurance (LOL) but I guess you have told me what I already was thinking - Get new master cylinder. Car passed its MOT yesterday and was told the brakes were fine !

August, 4, 2012 AT 1:34 PM

It can be fine now but it won't be for long if the master cylinder is failing.

Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement - Rear
Front Pad-Rotor Replacement Subaru Legacy
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement - Rear
Brake Light Bulb Replacement
Replace Rear Brake Pad-Rotor Subaru Legacy
Brake Pad and Rotor Replacement Ford Explorer
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement Honda Rear