OVERHEATING

2002 Audi A3

murphpj

August, 27, 2011 AT 1:49 PM

Driving a 1.6 cc engine Audi A3 I noticed the temperature exceeding90 degrees to 120degrees on the engine temperature gauge
we knew there was water being brought back to the expansion bottle as the small pipe was flowing back water and the water pump and timing belt done at 118.000miles.
green coolant switch was replaced and themostat housing. Also at 110 degrees the fan cuts in but not all the time,
no water is being lost as we do not need to replenish with coolant.
in traffic at 110degrees when I put the heating switch from cold to hot on the interior heater the temperature drops to 90 in less than a minute on the temp gauge
when the interior fan is switched off the temperature exceeds 90 degrees again,
and when we adjust the interior temperature back to the cold position the temperature exceeds 110 degrees on the gauge

Jacobandnickolas

September, 1, 2011 AT 3:34 AM

Make sure the cooling fans are working properly. Also, you may want to consider flushing the cooling system. Please note that for an engine to run at 120 degrees F is actually cool. I'm not sure if I fully understand what you are saying. Most thermostats don't fully open until they reach 195 degrees F.

F4I_guy

September, 2, 2011 AT 10:16 PM

Cooling fans are really common on your vehicle.

Turn your a/c on. Are both fans on? If both fans are working properly, they both should be on at a low speed.

Radiator Replacement Kia Sportage
Thermostat Replacement Mercedes Benz C230
Radiator Replacement Mercedes Benz ML 500
Thermostat Replacement Chrysler PT Cruiser