MY DAUGHTER DROVE UP TO SMOKEY MOUNTAINS FOR A ...

2002 Acura MDX

randyj

My daughter drove up to Smokey Mountains for a weekend vacation with her family. All went well on the drive. This morning the car would crank but no power. Wouldn't move out of it's tracks. She had it towed to a shop. The parts swappers there put on an idle air control valve, didn't fix it. Then they suggested a timing belt. They just had it replaced about 6 months ago. Got any clues what else to look for? For some reason the shop guy ruled out the injectors. Are there any known common ailments which might cause this in a 2002 MDX with about 200,000 miles on it?

hmac300

Scna for codes and check fuelpressure first. Then try resetting your anti theft in car

randyj

Thanks. The shop guy finally found the problem. The bolt on the timing belt idler had come out allowing the timing belt to slip. 3 teeth off. I sent a text telling them to have him put some blue lock tite on the bolt to keep it from coming out again. Myself, I think I would have checked that as part of the diagnosis before slamming parts on the car. I'm not sure how that would have shown up in the codes tho'. I tend to check things like that manually. Things are quite a bit different now than with the old small block chevy motors I'm accustomed to working on.

hmac300

If there are 3 teeth missing off the blet make sure to change it as well as the tensioner, it's reccomended every 60,000 but the main reason to change it is you have an interference engine whic means with the belt missing three teeth it won't go long and break and then you are looking at major engine damage likebent valvesrods and possibly broken pistons. What he found wold not have shown on codes because it only would have had the cam gotten a little out of time which would then show up.

Clean Idle Air Control Ford Super Duty 5.4L
Easily Clean Your Throttle Bore Like a Pro