CHANGED WIPER MOTOR BUT THEY ARE STILL INTERMITTENTLY WORKING

2001 Volvo S40

Hueydude

October, 31, 2011 AT 2:40 PM

My 2001 Volvo S40's wipers won't park or work on intermittent. I replaced the wiper motor but this didn't fix it. They do work on low, high and will wash.

October, 31, 2011 AT 4:01 PM

The wiper functions are controlled by the Central Electric Module (CEM) behind left end of dash. Have that checked.

Hueydude

October, 31, 2011 AT 4:52 PM

Would it have to be a dealer to check this? The closest one is over an hour away so I would prefer not to. Is there any repair that can be done to the CEM or is it replacement only? (I know they run like $700 or so)

October, 31, 2011 AT 4:56 PM

It requires speciality tools to check and that would mean sending it over to the dealer. For electronic components, the dealer would definitely tell you it should be replaced as a unit but you can try checking to see if there are any shops that does reman for the component.

Hueydude

October, 31, 2011 AT 6:23 PM

So does this mean I can rule out replacing the switch?

October, 31, 2011 AT 6:35 PM

No, you need to test and confirm if the switch is the cause or is it the CEM.

JIS001

November, 2, 2011 AT 4:03 AM

I agree with KHLow2008 that the fault will most likely be with the Central Electronic Module and it would be better to take it in to have it diagnosed properly.

Wiper Blade Replacement Toyota Tacoma
Wiper Blade Replacement Chevrolet Camaro
Wiper Blade Replacement Toyota Prius
Wiper Blade Replacement Scion XD
Windshield Wiper Replacement Toyota Corolla
Windshield Wiper Replacement Mercedes Benz ML
Windshield Wiper Replacement Kia Sportage