CAN A FAULTY STARTER MOTOR STOP THE CAR

2001 Vauxhall Astra

19matty79

May, 15, 2012 AT 11:12 AM

And stop it from cranking over even though the ignition lights come on? My car cut out but the lights on the dash come on but it won't crank over or even attempt to, I've checked all fuses and all ok, there's plenty of life in the battery and the engine turns when trying to bump it. I've left the ignition on and tried crossing the wires on the starter motor. It sparks and still won't turn over or crank even. Is there anything else I can try or does it seem like the starter motor?

promechanic

May, 15, 2012 AT 1:12 PM

Have the battery tested first. It might not be the problem but you need to be sure. It that tests fine then it could be the starter. Be sure to clean and tighten the battery cables too though.

19matty79

May, 15, 2012 AT 1:43 PM

Thanks. The battery seems to be ok, tried headlights on and they are as bright as any other time. Even tried jump leads off another car and still no luck. The spark on the starter when crossing the wires with a screw driver is really good. But the starter will still not move, I can't think of anything else. Was thinking ignition switch or ecu at first but with crossing the wire and still no luck I think I would have bypassed them, the starter can stop a car and act like this though can it?

fixitmr

May, 15, 2012 AT 3:12 PM

What wires are you crossing? You should cross small solenoid key igntion wire with main power wire.

19matty79

May, 15, 2012 AT 8:16 PM

Thanks again mate, it was the solanoid on the starter wires I was crossing. That didn't work, so I gave the motor a few taps with a bar and surprisingly it worked, the car starts fine again now but sticks now and again, take it it was the starter and I'll replace that ASAP. Thanks for your help, much appreciated, thank you

fixitmr

May, 15, 2012 AT 10:33 PM

Probably just the starter brushes but doubt you can get them seperately.

Starter Replacement
Starter Motor Replacement Ford Mustang
Battery Replacement
Battery Replacement Ford Escape 2000-2006