2001 SIENNA JUST REPLACED ENGINE TRANSMISSION ...

2001 Toyota Sienna

borrellimd

February, 1, 2013 AT 6:34 PM

2001 Sienna, just replaced engine, transmission, right drive shaft and motor mount bushing, both front struts and stabilizer links, rotors and calipers. There is now a rattle or clunking when going over bumps. Everything is tight and torqued to spec. I noticed that the left drive shaft has some up and down movement or play as well as in and out of the tranny about a 1/4 inch. The book says a couple of mm but I don't recall if I tested to ensure the shaft locked into plcae or what the play was. I think I shoved it in and moved on. Could there be an issue with that shft or the tranny output bearing with that much play? That is the only thing I can see that would cause the clunking. I did not change the strut mounts. They looked ok and they are not causing the typical clunk when turning the wheel. It is when I go over bumps.

borrellimd

February, 2, 2013 AT 1:48 AM

The clunking rattle sounds like it's coming from the left side. Either the shaft area or maybe the strut, or sway bar links, which are all new. The wheel bearing and ball joint are tight and again this issue is a new noise with this upgrade prioject. I am doubting the play in the trany output because I would expect more of a constant vibration with that type of issue. I have heard of new struts that were bad. But when I bounce it in the drive way it reacts normaly with no noises but I realy can't bounce it as hard as driving over bumps.

February, 3, 2013 AT 2:46 PM

Check the brake calipers. Ensure there are no excessive play in them due to worn slider bolts. Some lubrication might belp.

borrellimd

February, 3, 2013 AT 3:08 PM

They are all new and the slide bolts were checked for excess play and to ensure they slid. I changed the old ones out because they were bound up and I did not feel like trying to clean them up. New calipers and mount with slides, new rotors and new pads. It does sound like a strut noise. I am going to go over that installation carefully and maybe pull them out to inspect the mount bearing again.

February, 3, 2013 AT 3:12 PM

We can't help much on noise problems unless we know what is emitting it.

borrellimd

February, 4, 2013 AT 10:50 AM

Found the struts were not fully tight on the main nut. I don't know how that happened. Just goes to show that even when you think you 'torqued everything' something may have been overlooked or maybe had a bad thread that torqued right but was loose. Also if it sounds like a strut mount or swaybar link, look close at those parts because it may be something there. Anyway, case closed. Thanks

February, 4, 2013 AT 3:57 PM

For correct torquing it is best to torque to specs, loosen and retorque to ensure parts are seated correctly to get the proper specs.

Nice work.

Shock Replacement - Front Chevrolet Silverado
Air Shock Replacement Mercedes Benz S Class
Sway Bar Link Replacement Chevrolet Silverado
Lower Control Arm Bushing Replacement Honda
Sway Bar Link Replacement Subaru Legacy