2001 Toyota Prius warning Symbol

OLAF
  • 2001 TOYOTA PRIUS
I have a red car with exclamation on the dashboard. The battery and PS symbols are not highlighted, and there is no "check engine" light, or any other warning light. The car starts and runs fine. 2 fancy OBD2 readers show no codes, and all other checks show green, including 02 measurements. I have erased the warning with OBD2 reader, and by disconnecting 12 volt battery, but warning symbol returns immediately even without starting engine. I have checked all fuses, and switched relays around. Is this a bad ECU, or what?
Monday, January 5th, 2015 AT 9:38 AM

Have a pro scan this it may be an abs problem or with one of the other modules.
Monday, January 5th, 2015 AT 4:21 PM
OLAF
Would not an ABS problem be highlighted by the panel alarm sign, or an error code? When I turn on the key the ABS alarm shows, but immediately turns off when the engine turns over. The brakes are fine on this car.
Monday, January 5th, 2015 AT 4:27 PM
Regardless of an abs problem your brakes would feel no different and codes only show up with a pro scanner not auto parts ones. We don't have dash symbols in our manual so get it scanned if there is a problem the scanner may say what it is.
Monday, January 5th, 2015 AT 4:34 PM
OLAF
Well, I will try a pro scanner or whatever special tool that is. I thought that the two scanners employed were professional enough such that they would show any code that the car computer created in answer to the panel alarm. No codes ever appeared. My understanding of how codes function is to give a more specific answer to a general alarm. Wow!
Monday, January 5th, 2015 AT 4:44 PM
If you can find a manual check in there as ours are repair manuals. Also a pro scanner costs a couple thousand dollars not like the cheapos in auto parts as they only do engine/trans. Good luck
Tuesday, January 6th, 2015 AT 6:34 AM
OLAF
I have on order a prius repair manual and should get it soon. But what is it going to tell me about this strange problem? Go check the codes! I know that my prius ECU can project codes because when all this ruckus began a month ago I plugged in my little OBD2 reader and it showed my MAS was not functioning properly, but nothing else. I took out the MAS and cleaned it and the codes disappeared. But not the dash warning. I don't understand why I should need a super duper code reader when the codes should appear on any average OBD2 reader. The super OBD reader goes into lengthy detail about what the codes mean, but I can go online and get the same information. I understand the prius has some exotic codes but those code number should appear on any good machine if that is the problem. I have gone online to see if anybody else has had a similar problem but every discussion always starts with reading codes and what could be mechanically wrong. I am fairly adept in fixing cars, having done so all my life. But I have never come across a problem like I am having now. That is why I went to you. Going to a Toyota dealer to have them look at it is distasteful, especially after reading so many online comments about the very expensive and incompetent repairs that have been done on the prius. Maybe I should ignore the warning and just drive this car until it has an obvious mechanical problem. Thanks anyway.
Tuesday, January 6th, 2015 AT 8:06 AM
That's why you go to a mechanic and he reads what the problem is and fixes it.
Tuesday, January 6th, 2015 AT 9:23 AM